N63 intake vanos solenoid

image

Ok here a picture of a 2013 550 with a N63,,,,with the drivers side inner cooler removed,,,customer said the engine was running rough intermittently and the check engine light came on,,,,I checked for fault,,,,found intake vanos solenoid on bank 2 faulty,,,,,I performed a vanos test,,,,which checks if all the vanos units are moving and not locking up,,,,the vanos units passed

image

So here is a picture of both of the vanos solenoid son bank 2,,,,,the drivers side,,,,the solenoid on top is the intake one.

image

Ok here is the old and new vanos solenoids,,,,as you can see they have updated the new one,,,,they now have more screen filters over the solenoid valve,,,,that’s probably so no dirt gets in to them.,,,,this job really isn’t that hard,,,,just need to be patient and have the right tools,,,,,some of the mounting hardware is hard to see.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to N63 intake vanos solenoid

1. oasis says:

All good to know.

-Oasis

2. ninja_zx11 says:

Sorry couldn’t find any other place to post.I need little help.Harmonic balancer on my 2006 E60 with N52 is wobbling close to 1.5mm but ISTA says max limit is .4mm.So i am going to replace it.Are there any special tools required to lock the crankshaft while removing 6 bolts?Can crankshaft be rotated backwards without any risk?Thanks

• Hi,,,,,no you don’t have to pin the motor while removing the front pulley ,,,,I believe there are 8 torque bolt holding it in,,,,the hardest part is aligning the dowel pin up with the new pulley,,,,,just align the pulley and start all 8 bolts by hand,,,,if you have a small mirror to check with dowel alignment would be helpful,,,,,good luck

3. ninja_zx11 says:

Thanks a lot!!

4. fredayday says:

I’ve got a 2011 550xi and I’m stumped on an issue. I had the Camshaft position sensor code but after replacing the plugs, an oil change, and both cam position sensors I’m still getting codes 163201 Exhaust camshaft electrical signal missing, and 163301 exhaust camshaft function segment time error. Could this be related to the Vanos solenoids? I haven’t gotten a code for those and at my wits end. The car surges at idle when in drive and the idle is slightly erratic. I get the DTM malfunction frequently related to this also. Please HELP! This car is driving me insane man…please give me some clues. This is my first BMW and NOTHING is like the other cars I’ve worked on…

• Ok it looks like your codes are for bank 1 which is the passengers side,,,,I would start with both intake and exhaust vanos solenoids if the problem is still there then you might have vanos unit problems.

• fredayday says:

Thanks for the reply. One more question: are the solenoids them selves replaceable and how many are there? Someone suggested to me that the N63 has four solenoids and 4 vanos units. I can only see the two on the front as you have pictures.

• fredayday says:

Aah, gotcha. Answered my own question after reading a bit more. Didn’t realize that the solenoids were different than the unit itself. Hoping that the problem is only in the solenoids themselves…praying actually.

• Yes ,,,let’s hope it’s the vanos solenoids,,,,yes there are 4 vanos units and 4 vanos solenoids,,,,,the vanos solenoids sups oil to the vanos units,,,,you have 2 of each on each bank.

• fredayday says:

Thank you SO much! I do all my own motor work but this car has been such a learning experience…sometimes ainful but with guys like you out there it’s going easier. Gonna replace all 4 solenoids when the shipment gets here. Do you think that’s advisable, or just replace the two on the exhaust cam? Really want to do all 4 since it doesn’t seem too difficult.