N20 vacuum pump ,,,,,pumping oil

image

Ok so this was interesting,,,,I was performing a service on a N20 engine,,,,I had to replace the spark plugs,,,,,so I remove the plastic engine cover and disconnect the 2 vacuum lines that are connected to it,,,,,,,and I put it on my work bench,,,,,a couple minutes later I look back at it and a lot of oil is dripping out of the vacuum pod that is under the engine cover,,,,,,,so I check vacuum lines,,,,the main one comes straight from the vacuum pump,,,,and the other goes to the elect romantic turbo. valve.

image

Here are a couple pictures of the new vacuum pump,,,,,so the small black nipple fitting is for the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum pod under the engine cover,,,,the bigger one with the yellow cap is for the brake booster vacuum line,,,,,I also check that line but no oil was in it,,,,,I cleaned out the vacuum lines and replaced the vacuum pump,,,,,for some strange reason,,,,BMW has to give me permission to replace this part,,,,,,and they don’t carry to many of them.

image

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to N20 vacuum pump ,,,,,pumping oil

1. oasis says:

How where the plugs? What would have happened if you did not replace the vacuum pump?

-Oasis

• The spark plugs were ok,,,,,,I think if you didn’t replace the vacuum pump,,,I think it would just keep pumping oil through the vacuum lines and go to the vacuum waste gate ,,,,and probably start leaking out the vacuum lines on to the engine,,,,,it would just be a matter of time.

• Edward Kim says:

Did you have to dismount the engine for vacuum pump job?

• No you don’t have to dismount the engine for the vacuum pump,,,you just work by feel for the bolts on the vacuum pump,,,,it’s a tight fit and you will scrap up your arm against the firewall

2. Edward Kim says:

thanks for the reply

3. Fred says:

If you pull the small black vacuum adapter from the pump you’ll see a one way check valve that has torn and gone bad. It’s not available as a part one must replace the whole pump.

4. Beemerguy says:

BMWtech… I have a 2012 F30 N20 Vacuum waste-gate turbo, 82K miles). Recently I been noticing a surge or what seems like an on/off/on/off lose of turbo boost at RPM’s over 3K while accelerating. This could also be described as a surge or wave of power rather than a normal linear power feel. This has been ongoing for about 1-2 months. I recently checked and changed my spark plugs and did not notice any issue. I have no codes or lights. Interestingly I noticed last week oil coming from my vacuum turbo line as you pictured. After I clean the oil out I notice my surge or power lose issue seems to go away. I called my dealer and they said there is an extended warranty on this part due to the brake pedal booster vacuum issue so I hope to get it replaced next week and solve my other power issue. Was curious if you have heard people complaining about the surging power before?

5. John says:

Hi I have this exact issue.

I went to replace my spark plugs today and had no leakage anywhere.

I put the cover down and the oil leaked out of the reservoir just like your description and picture.

What should I do in terms of repair?

• You need to replace the vacuum pump,,,,and if you can clean out the vacuum hoses the best you can,,,,next question do you have a vacuum wastegate for the turbo or a electric wastegate,,,,if you have a vacuum wastegate make sure no oil went inside the wastegate because that could damage the wastegate

• Alpine5x says:

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m not technically inclined I have a 2013 528i xdrive vin: WBAXH5C51DDW14272

Do you know if my vehicle has an electric or vacuum wastegate? How would I know if it is damaged?

• Having the VIN number won’t help me,,,,you need to look at the exhaust side front of the engine you will see a wastegate with a rod coming out of it going to the turbo,,,,now if the wastegate has a vacuum hose going to it remove the hose and clean out the hose only,,,,do not clean out the wastegate ok,,,,your wastegate is probably ok they are pretty tuff and if it was bad it would send a check engine light on saying no boost,,,,if the wastegate has a electrical plug on it then don’t worry about it.

6. Zonnie says:

How did you clean the lines with oil in them?

How did you clean the pod underneath the engine cover that was filled with oil?

7. Alpine5x says:

Why did this happen exactly? I understand the vacuum pump malfunctioned, is this normal? which part of the pump is broken? Just trying to better understand the problem and why it happened to prevent it in the future. Thanks

8. Alpine5x says:

I found this vacuum pump online. 11667622380

WBAXH5C51DDW14272 – 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Can you confirm this is the correct part for the vehicle:

WBAXH5C51DDW14272 – 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Thanks so much..

9. Alpine5x says:

Ironically the dealer was unsure. I found a really good deal on part #380 so i’ll try it out. Hope it works.

not sure why the the vacuum pump with be different depending on production month of the 2013 f10 5 series. it’s the exact same car pre-lci.

10. Jesse says:

If the valve or some seal failed inside the pump (that to prevent oil from getting into the vacuum hose and not the entire pump fail) and since no such small replacement parts available other than full unit replacement, can’t we just place a one way valve along the hose so the oil will not go to the vacuum box or pneumatic servo or actuator?)