N20 turbo update

image So from my last post I replaced and  updated the engine oil feed line on a N20,,,,,the new oil line had a built in check valve,,,well after I was done,,,the next day we started the car up and it was still smoking from the exhaust,,,,I guess BMW fix didn’t work this time,,,,you see inside the turbo exhaust housing the two wet oil spot,,,that’s oil seeping out of the turbo housing.image So now I have to do the whole job all over again,,,,we are now replacing the whole turbo and swapping over the updated engine oil feed line,,,I always hate doing the job twice,,,,but I guess it still pays,,,,it’s amazing how fast you can do a job the second time the next day.image Heres the inside of the new turbo housing,,,,hopefully this fixes the problem.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to N20 turbo update

1. Mike Walko says:

Hey- I think I might have a turbo issue on my N20.
    How do I actually get to the turbocharger since it’s under the engine. I haven’t found any resources online that show how to do it.

Is there any way for me to buy the oil line with the valve check without going to the dealer and submitting the PUMA report? How much would it cost me to do it if it’s not possible?
    Also, how much would replacing the turbocharger completely cost? Is it possible to do it on your own?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, this is very frustrating.
    Thanks in advance!

• Ok good news is you don’t need a puma case to get the updated oil line,,,,BMW finally released the oil line to the public,,,,you just have to order the updated oil line with a check valve,,,,I don’t know the price,,,,,but if a independent shop does it they should charge you about 5 to 6 hours for the job,,,,ok the bad news,,,,,for you doing it at home that’s not a easy thing,,,,,you have to be able to work from under the car and from the top of the car to get to all the nuts and bolts,,,you also have to support the engine,,,,because you have to remove the right side motor mount and bracket.,,,,I would never try and do this at home without a car lift.

• Also check out your emissions warranty where you live,,,,here in California it’s 7/70 and some cars the turbo is covered,,,,hope this helps

• Mike Walko says:

Thanks for the replies, man. I really do appreciate it.
        I’m looking into the warranty right now- I’ve still been doing a lot of additional research and I was wondering if there was a way to diagnose whether its a blown turbo seal or the oil feed line without taking out all the nuts and bolts? I’m not looking to replace them right now- just figure out which one it is.

Also- while it probably isn’t good to drive with these issues, would normal usage of the vehicle cause catastrophic damage to the engine? As i understand the turbocharger is already carrying/passing super heated gas from the engine and I’d assume that it’s built to withstand tolerances that wouldn’t be affected by a little extra burning oil.

What are your thought on the matter?
        Thanks again!

• Driving the car won’t cause anymore damage,,,,you should be just fine ,,,,except some burning oil during start up.,,,,there really isn’t any test to see if the problem the turbo or oil line or both.

• If you replace the turbo,,,you are going to replace and update that oil feed line anyway.

2. JB says:

Would this (newer oil line or turbo replacement) be covered under CPO warranty?

3. Paul says:

Hi bmwtechnician, My 2012 528i with 74K miles is now experiencing this problem during startup in the morning. Is there a way I can have BMW cover the cost of repair since it’s due to a defective inlet oil pipe and turbo.

4. JB says:

I hadn’t driven my car for a few days while I was out of town. I fired her up this morning and I was engulfed in smoke! I called my SA and said if I can take a video of it and send it to him he will get the line ordered. He said if that doesn’t fix the issue I’ll be getting new turbo. Should I be concerned about anything if it comes down to that? How much did it smoke after you just replaced the line before BMW authorized the turbo replacement? Did that require a PUMA? I sent you another message on Bimmerfest.

• There’s no major concerns,,,,and no you don’t need a puma case to replace the turbo on a N20 engine anymore,,,,,because they know there is a problem with the turbo now.

• Dorothy says:

Are you saying the turbo will be replaced at no cost because it is a known issue? Even if the car is not under warranty. I am having this same problem 2012 528I. My car is no longer under warranty. I am told by another mechanic, this is a known issue.

• It is a known issue,,,BMW is thinking about extending the warranty on the turbos because of this problem,,,,they have not extended this warranty for the turbo at this time yet,,,,,hopefully it is soon.

• Also in some states,,,your state where you live might have a emissions warranty,,,,which might cover the turbo,,,,you might have to find out where you live if there is some kind of a state emissions,,,,hope this helps

5. HakanH says:

Do you have to remove the turbo to see traces of oil in the housing?

6. Pascal Blanchette says:

Thanks for this post, it help me a lot to identify the problem and change the oil feed line with the correct part number (11428678840), the dealer want to give me this parts 11428626652 for my X1 2013, but I told them that I wanted the other number with the check valve. I removed the turbo myself and change the oil feed line and put a rebuilt kit in my turbo, after 15hrs of work and 240$ in parts (feedline, rebuilt kit, and gaskets), all is good now… Like you said, don’t try this at home if you don’t have a lift, this is not a easy job.

7. Chey says:

Hi andreas question about the turbo oil feed line. If this doesn’t get fixed soon would it cause the turbo to fail in the future. Also how would you know if there is a problem with the turbocharger?

• It might cause further damage to the turbo if not replace soon,,,,you won’t know if it odd any damage to the turbo until you replace that turbo oil line,,,I have replace a lot of turbo oil line,,,,but I know of several one that have come back to replace the turbo a week later.

• Beamer blues says:

Hello BMW technician
        I’m having a similar problem with tons of white smoke. It all began one day when my car started saying drive train malfunction, and it had limited acceleration. About a week later I took it to the dealer for servicing and to check out the problem. They told me that I had a blown turbo and that I would have to pay for it because I could present the receipts for the oil and oil change that I did myself. Long story short I took the car as is and drove for about another month and one day on the freeway there was a tremendous amount of white smoke behind me. The car seemed to keep stopping as I got off the freeway to pull over. But I never saw an overheat warning or anything on the display. Tow truck driver saw it all and swore I blew a head gasket, so he towed it home. The more I read, I wondered if it was a blown turbo seal. It’s a 2013 328i, 59,000 miles. Any advice would be great please. I checked the oil in the oil filter housing before and after running the car for a minute and no white creamy substance whatsoever in my oil.

• That’s a good sign that the oil color is ok,,,,,how was the coolant did that look ok,,,,if everything looks ok you might have blown the turbo seal,,,,it will cause the same thing a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust .

8. Beamer blues says:

The coolant looked fine too from what I could see. Is there a situation in which the car will keep trying to stop itself or shutdown over the turbo and smoking? Or would that only happen with an overheating situation? But I never smelled that traditional antifreeze overheat smell and I never saw anything on the display regarding water or overheating either. Yeah the white smoke comes out of the tailpipe immediately upon startup and looks to be coming from the right exhaust manifold section of the engine bay. Thanks for the response.