N20 turbo update

image So from my last post I replaced and  updated the engine oil feed line on a N20,,,,,the new oil line had a built in check valve,,,well after I was done,,,the next day we started the car up and it was still smoking from the exhaust,,,,I guess BMW fix didn’t work this time,,,,you see inside the turbo exhaust housing the two wet oil spot,,,that’s oil seeping out of the turbo housing.image So now I have to do the whole job all over again,,,,we are now replacing the whole turbo and swapping over the updated engine oil feed line,,,I always hate doing the job twice,,,,but I guess it still pays,,,,it’s amazing how fast you can do a job the second time the next day.image Heres the inside of the new turbo housing,,,,hopefully this fixes the problem.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to N20 turbo update

1. Mike Walko says:

Hey- I think I might have a turbo issue on my N20.
    How do I actually get to the turbocharger since it’s under the engine. I haven’t found any resources online that show how to do it.

Is there any way for me to buy the oil line with the valve check without going to the dealer and submitting the PUMA report? How much would it cost me to do it if it’s not possible?
    Also, how much would replacing the turbocharger completely cost? Is it possible to do it on your own?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, this is very frustrating.
    Thanks in advance!

• Ok good news is you don’t need a puma case to get the updated oil line,,,,BMW finally released the oil line to the public,,,,you just have to order the updated oil line with a check valve,,,,I don’t know the price,,,,,but if a independent shop does it they should charge you about 5 to 6 hours for the job,,,,ok the bad news,,,,,for you doing it at home that’s not a easy thing,,,,,you have to be able to work from under the car and from the top of the car to get to all the nuts and bolts,,,you also have to support the engine,,,,because you have to remove the right side motor mount and bracket.,,,,I would never try and do this at home without a car lift.

• Also check out your emissions warranty where you live,,,,here in California it’s 7/70 and some cars the turbo is covered,,,,hope this helps

• Mike Walko says:

Thanks for the replies, man. I really do appreciate it.
        I’m looking into the warranty right now- I’ve still been doing a lot of additional research and I was wondering if there was a way to diagnose whether its a blown turbo seal or the oil feed line without taking out all the nuts and bolts? I’m not looking to replace them right now- just figure out which one it is.

Also- while it probably isn’t good to drive with these issues, would normal usage of the vehicle cause catastrophic damage to the engine? As i understand the turbocharger is already carrying/passing super heated gas from the engine and I’d assume that it’s built to withstand tolerances that wouldn’t be affected by a little extra burning oil.

What are your thought on the matter?
        Thanks again!

• Driving the car won’t cause anymore damage,,,,you should be just fine ,,,,except some burning oil during start up.,,,,there really isn’t any test to see if the problem the turbo or oil line or both.

• If you replace the turbo,,,you are going to replace and update that oil feed line anyway.

2. JB says:

Would this (newer oil line or turbo replacement) be covered under CPO warranty?

3. Paul says:

Hi bmwtechnician, My 2012 528i with 74K miles is now experiencing this problem during startup in the morning. Is there a way I can have BMW cover the cost of repair since it’s due to a defective inlet oil pipe and turbo.

• I’m sorry,,,,but no,,,,BMW won’t cover it due to your car is out of warranty.

• Paul says:

Thank you for the reply. I read on another forum that replacing the oil inlet pipe works but somehow, yours didn’t work. Do you really think that a turbo replacement is needed for this problem. I’m just looking for a cheapest way to repair this problem.

• The oil feed line doesn’t always fix the problem,,,,it’s a 50% chance that it will fix the problem,,,,,the other 50% is the turbo replacement,,,,there is no cheap way to fix the problem,,,,sorry

• Paul says:

Can you post the part number for the new inlet oil pipe that have the check valve. Thanks.

• Oil line part number for turbo 11 42 8 648 368

• Amar says:

Hi… just a thought… if the problem is just started… would parking the car with the passenger side slightly raised above the driver side help ( Tilted parkingO .. since all the oil will drip and rest on the driverside of the Sump !

• No I don’t think that would help,,,,you can always give it try.

4. JB says:

I hadn’t driven my car for a few days while I was out of town. I fired her up this morning and I was engulfed in smoke! I called my SA and said if I can take a video of it and send it to him he will get the line ordered. He said if that doesn’t fix the issue I’ll be getting new turbo. Should I be concerned about anything if it comes down to that? How much did it smoke after you just replaced the line before BMW authorized the turbo replacement? Did that require a PUMA? I sent you another message on Bimmerfest.

• There’s no major concerns,,,,and no you don’t need a puma case to replace the turbo on a N20 engine anymore,,,,,because they know there is a problem with the turbo now.

• Dorothy says:

Are you saying the turbo will be replaced at no cost because it is a known issue? Even if the car is not under warranty. I am having this same problem 2012 528I. My car is no longer under warranty. I am told by another mechanic, this is a known issue.

• It is a known issue,,,BMW is thinking about extending the warranty on the turbos because of this problem,,,,they have not extended this warranty for the turbo at this time yet,,,,,hopefully it is soon.

• Also in some states,,,your state where you live might have a emissions warranty,,,,which might cover the turbo,,,,you might have to find out where you live if there is some kind of a state emissions,,,,hope this helps

5. HakanH says:

Do you have to remove the turbo to see traces of oil in the housing?

6. Pascal Blanchette says:

Thanks for this post, it help me a lot to identify the problem and change the oil feed line with the correct part number (11428678840), the dealer want to give me this parts 11428626652 for my X1 2013, but I told them that I wanted the other number with the check valve. I removed the turbo myself and change the oil feed line and put a rebuilt kit in my turbo, after 15hrs of work and 240$ in parts (feedline, rebuilt kit, and gaskets), all is good now… Like you said, don’t try this at home if you don’t have a lift, this is not a easy job.

7. Chey says:

Hi andreas question about the turbo oil feed line. If this doesn’t get fixed soon would it cause the turbo to fail in the future. Also how would you know if there is a problem with the turbocharger?

• It might cause further damage to the turbo if not replace soon,,,,you won’t know if it odd any damage to the turbo until you replace that turbo oil line,,,I have replace a lot of turbo oil line,,,,but I know of several one that have come back to replace the turbo a week later.

• Beamer blues says:

Hello BMW technician
        I’m having a similar problem with tons of white smoke. It all began one day when my car started saying drive train malfunction, and it had limited acceleration. About a week later I took it to the dealer for servicing and to check out the problem. They told me that I had a blown turbo and that I would have to pay for it because I could present the receipts for the oil and oil change that I did myself. Long story short I took the car as is and drove for about another month and one day on the freeway there was a tremendous amount of white smoke behind me. The car seemed to keep stopping as I got off the freeway to pull over. But I never saw an overheat warning or anything on the display. Tow truck driver saw it all and swore I blew a head gasket, so he towed it home. The more I read, I wondered if it was a blown turbo seal. It’s a 2013 328i, 59,000 miles. Any advice would be great please. I checked the oil in the oil filter housing before and after running the car for a minute and no white creamy substance whatsoever in my oil.

• That’s a good sign that the oil color is ok,,,,,how was the coolant did that look ok,,,,if everything looks ok you might have blown the turbo seal,,,,it will cause the same thing a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust .

8. Beamer blues says:

The coolant looked fine too from what I could see. Is there a situation in which the car will keep trying to stop itself or shutdown over the turbo and smoking? Or would that only happen with an overheating situation? But I never smelled that traditional antifreeze overheat smell and I never saw anything on the display regarding water or overheating either. Yeah the white smoke comes out of the tailpipe immediately upon startup and looks to be coming from the right exhaust manifold section of the engine bay. Thanks for the response.

9. Robert Moore says:

I have a 2015 bmw 320i turbo that is doing this now.
    Is there a copy of the technical service bulletin that exist?

• BMW extended the warranty on the turbo oil feed lines,,,,Bulletin 11 11 16 is for the N20 engine for the updated turbo oil feed line,,,,there is also another bulletin for the N26 engine but I don’t have the bulletin number,,,,if you check with your dealer you might find out if it’s still covered under the extended warranty for that turbo oil feed line

10. Brennan Burnell says:

I am in the process of getting my feed line replaced in my 2013 328xi and they called me up saying I should replace my turbo while they have it torn apart. At my expense. What should i do?

11. christopher wrigt says:

just bought a car 2012 328i immaculate ,but I left it for 6 days and started it up to a massive smoke cloud of blue smoke ,looks like I have the same issue ,is the oil feed pipe a free recall ?

• Yes this is a free recall,,,,but you have to see if your car applies to that recall,,,,you have to go to the dealer and have them perform a key read on your car and it will say if your car is covered under the turbo oil line recall

12. Stijn says:

I have a f30 328i from 2012. Since a month or so it produces smoke on a cold start. Strangely it only happens when my car is parked on my driveway with the front of the car up (my driveway is on a slope). Having the rear of the car higher than the front of the car it does not produce the smoke on a cold start.

This free recall: is that only in North America? Or also in Europe?

Thanks for all the interesting information on your blog!

13. J says:

Hi there, i have recently purchased an 2013 X3. According to BMW, it has done all the recalls however i have two concerns. 1) the known tensioner issue. Can you ask BMW to do the fix now (preventitive), rather than when it fails ( as i know there are several court cases about this)

2) on some mornings i have smoke coming from the rear. Now knowing i have had the turbo oil line recall done, how should i approach them about fixing the turbo ????? as that seems like the next step and it seems pretty common for X3 N20 engines ?

• I don’t know how you are going to get the dealer to replace the timing chain,,,,the only way they will replace it if you can prove to them the timing chain is making a whining noise or that the timing chain rail is coming apart,,,,on the turbo smoking after the oil line was updated,,,,you will have to show them that it is smoking in the morning during start up ,,,and they can perform a test on the turbo to see if oil is going into the exhaust system

• J says:

I have taken a video this morning. The turbo oil line was updated as part of recall with previous owner. The car has done 57,000 miles and therefore now out of warranty, would bmw still fix turbo under warranty ? What test do they run to see if it is a turbo issue? Is it a quick check? Do you have the bulletin number they refer to when they first replace turbo oil line, and then the turbo if it not remedied?

• Ok the turbo is not covered anymore,,,the test is not a simple one,,,what we do is run the engine in the morning for about 10 seconds then we remove the catalytic converter and look at the exhaust side of the turbo unit and see if there is any oil in the exhaust side of the turbo and that will tell you what is going on with the turbo blowing oil

• J says:

I have also read that cars are covered by 8 year 80000mile emissions warranty, which the car would fail burning all this oil, is this your understanding too?

• 8/80 emissions warranty is only in certain states also they only cover certain things on the list for emissions,,,,I don’t know if turbos are covered in your state,,,,you would have to check your state emissions warranty for coverage