X3 4×4 transfer case

image Yes boys its a new transfer case for a X3 2012,,,transfer case atc450,,,,customer complaint was car feels like it jerks and skips while driving slowly and while turning in a parking lot,,,,this was very easy to duplicate,,,,the weird thing is that it wouldn’t throw a fault in the system,,,,I tried to get the car to fault while driving put it wouldn’t do it.image Here is the veg module that is bolted to the bottom of the transfer case,,,I decided to unplug the control unit and test drive,,,,my problem went away,,,I knew I found my problem.image I then replaced the transfer case which also comes with the VTG module,,,,the only thing it doesn’t come with the transfer case mount,,,,you would also have to replace the mount when replacing the transfer case,,,,this is a picture of the transfer case removed,,,this is the output shaft from the back of the transmission,,,,the transfer case just slides onto the output shaft,,,,,the transfer case is fairly easy to replace,,,,except replacing the mount,,,you need special tools,,,,also you have to program and encode the new VTG module.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to X3 4×4 transfer case

1. I think your pics broke it list ,,, but not the pic

2. Winson says:

BMW X3 f25 when accelerate car will jerk and when apply brake until car arround 10km/h will jerk as well…when turn left or right accelerate and apply brake car seems nothing…hope you can helps!!thx

• Is the check engine light on?,,,,and has anyone checked for any faults with the engine?,,,,I have never heard of this problem.

• Winson says:

No fault code and no check engine light..

• Winson says:

I manage to troubleshoot the problem already…I disconnect the VTG motor and the problem goes away…anyway thx for ur help and ur website really helps alotz…

• AM Jahan says:

Hi and many thanks for your useful contents. My X3, F25, 2012 has an ATC-45L transfer case which makes a transient high pitch rattling noise in 3 situations while car is transferring the load:
        1. While the transmission is engaged (in R or D) and the car has very Low speed (less than 5km/h), then as soon as I press the brake pedal, the noise will come and stay for a second and will be gone as soon as the car stops.
        2. While the transmission is engaged in Drive (D) and the car has very low speed (less than 10km/h), then as soon as I let go off the gas pedal the noise will come and stay for a second and when I push the gas pedal again, it will be gone.
        3. While the transmission is in neutral (N) and the car is moving forward in downhill position.
        No fault codes has appeared yet. Please kindly check my problem at “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75xk0h_ujl0”.
        Can it be the VTG module? If so, how should I test this?
        Regards,

• That’s for the video,,,,what you can do is disconnect the VTG motor on the transfer case and see if the noise goes away,,,,if it does then it might be the VTG motor your problem

• AM Jahan says:

Thanks a lot for your reply. If I remove the connectors from longitudinal torque module (or VTG) on the transfer case side, then Should I expect to get ABS or 4×4 or DSC warnings at console display? If so, then after plugging the connector back again, do I need to reset my existing VTG adaptations by BMW software? Or reconnecting the VTG will be plug and play?

• Yes you will get ABS and 4×4 ,DSC lights on,,,once you plug it back in those light should shut off or you might have to clear them ,,,no software needed,,,,you just want to see if that noise goes away when you unplug it.

• AM Jahan says:

Dear Andreas, thanks for your kind reply.
        Is it possible to replace my existing torque module (VTG) by a used torque module (with the same part number)? In this case, do I require to code the used VTG again (i.e. reset VTG Calibration/Adaptation)?
        If I decide to replace a brand new VTG module, will the coding be necessary for the brand new module? or is it plug and play?
        Regards,

• The new one needs to be coded and calibrated/adaptation

• AM Jahan says:

Dear Andreas, thanks a lot for your kind guidelines.
        I disconnected the plugs from longitudinal torque module and made a test drive and it seemed that the transfer case noise has disappeared! Now, how can I check if any mechanical part inside the transfer case (such as clutch pack) is defected or only the torque module itself is defected?
        Please note that I got no check engine light and the BMW diagnostic software shows no fault code as well.
        By the way, as I’ve sent a video clip regarding my transfer case noise for you, what is your guess about the source of noise?
        Regards,

• There is no way to check the internal parts of the transfer case,,,the transfer case has no clutch packs,,,it has a chain driven gear operated system,,,I believe from the video clip and since you disconnect the VTG module and the noise is gone,,,your problem is the VTG module,,,there is a electric motor and plastic gears inside,,,you probably hearing the plastic gears slipping and the motor ratcheting noise.

3. Nigel spencer says:

Ive been told my transfer case on 2011 BMW X3 needs replacing. I dont have the symptoms as above (skips or jerks at low speeds) but i do have abs warning lights and parking brake lights and tyre monitor failure warning all come on at same time.When i turn the engine off the warning lights go off and may not reappear for another 50 miles or so. Is it the transfer case or should i get the VTG motor disconnected and see how it goes?