Bleeding the coolant

ok here’s a video on how to bleed the cooling system,,,remember you must have the door latch lock and do not grab the door handle and unlock it,,,once the door latch open up the water pump will stop bleeding,,,because the door is then open.image Reminder the water pump will cycle,,,it will pump water and the stop and then start-up again,,,,that is all normal,,,the water pump will cycle a lot,,,,if it doesn’t bleed,,,remember try the bleeding again with the a/c button on,,,,after it bleeds for a while,,,,top off the coolant and go for 2 mile test drive,,,,after test drive check water level,,,,you might have to add water that is normal,,,,don’t worry sometime it takes a couple of times.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Bleeding the coolant

1. Simon says:

Hi Andreas, i have made the experience on my F13 (N63) that only a refilling of coolant under vaccum removed the water noises in the heating.

2. bmwfan says:

On the E92 N51 motors, how would you drain all the coolant out? I know how to drain from the radiator, does it also have a drain on the block? My goal is to drain as much as possible because someone put the wrong kind of coolant in. Also anything else I have to do to bleed besides cycling the pump? Thanks so much!

3. bmwfan says:

Hello BMWTechnician, I just changed my coolant. The coolant that came out surprised me, it was a brown orange color. I bougot the car used. It is a 2011 328i. The coolant in the reservoir was green and looked fresh, but this is what came out of the radiator. http://i67.tinypic.com/10cpxcw.jpg

4. BMW Enthusiast says:

Hello BMWTech, so today I changed my coolant. However, as I was topping it off, I push the float to check the level. It snapped and a big part of the dipstick just disappeared into the reservoir. Does this happen often? Will anything happen if I just leave it? It broke off and I cannot find it. http://tinypic.com/r/sb0l7r/9
    Thank you.

5. 328i says:

Hello. Did you get my question regarding the coolant dipstick? Thanks

6. BMW Enthusiast says:

Do I have to drain coolant from radiator first?

• No you don’t have to drain the radiator,,,,just disconnect the hose at the bottom of the expansion tank and swap in the new expansion tank

• BMW Enthusiast says:

Wont this cause a big mess?

• Yes,,,,lol,,,,,I have a special tool that clamps the hose and stops it from leaking,,,,so then I only have the coolant inside the tank that leaks out instead of all the coolant inside the radiator and hoses and engine,,,,if you drain the whole radiator do you have big enough container to hold all the coolant,,,,also if you remove the lower radiator drain plug you will have to buy a new drain plug,,,also when you drain the whole radiator it takes a lot longer to bleed the cooling system

7. BMW Enthusiast says:

Thank you for clarifying. I’ve been told to replace the drain plug. But I usually reuse it. Do you have to replace the drain plug? Also I usually run the bleeding procedure twice when I drain the radiator. Is that enough?