N55 eccentric shaft,valvetronic motor

Ok this is going to be a long post with a lot of pictures,,,,N55 check engine light on,,,,faults were valvetronic motor and valvetronic won’t reach its limit,,,,performed the test plan,,,operated the valvetronic motor test which passed the test twice,,,but when I started the engine it would fail again ,,,,which tells me all these BMW test are not always correct,,,,lol,,,after more testing it finally said the valvetronic motor and the eccentric shaft should be replaced ok,,,,now the fun started. Here you can see I already removed the fuel injectors and the 3 injector and spark plug stands,,,you have to remove them to gain better access to the valvetronic motor,,,,,also notice the oiler line,,,,you should also replace this at the same time.  Here you can see all the injector and spark plug stands removed. Now the fun started,,,during inspection I found the intake camshaft lobes pitted,,,only cylinder 5 and 6 were pitted,,,,we have no idea what caused this or what happened,,,,now are repairs have changed,,,,we are going to replace the valvetronic motor,eccentric shaft,roller rocker arms and eccentric levers. Here the valvetronic motor which is just a worm gear ,,,,,which can move the eccentric shaft very fast.now here is one of BMW over engineered tools needed to remove and install the the eccentric shaft lever springs,,,,you need this tool to perform this job,,,,there is no other way to do this without hurting yourself.,,,even with this tool you can hurt yourself,,,,,there is a lot of tension on those springs. Here is the new intake camshaft and eccentric shaft,,,,you can see the gear on the eccentric shaft which locks into the valvetronic motor.  When replacing the eccentric shaft there are also 6 needle bearing that have to be replace,,,,the needle bearing and the 2 bearing half shell bearing.this I show you replace them,,,,,they are a split open,,,,you carefully spread them open over the eccentric shaft and make sure they spin freely. Here are all the new eccentric shaft levers. When replacing the levers and the roller rocker arms,,,,they all have numbers on them,,,,,so when you order new ones you need to know what the number is in the engine now,,,,the levers and the roller arms are both 02. Here is the roller rocker arm you can see number 2 stamped in it. . Her is the final assembly ,,,what I also forgot to say the vanos gear is removed,,,,because you will be timing the engine,,,,once your done you hope it starts,,,,you also have to perform a teach in for valvetronic motor ,,,,it performs about 50 test without it failing,,,,if it fails you have to start the test all over again.

265 Responses to N55 eccentric shaft,valvetronic motor

1. Gary says:

Hi guys I am new here. I tried three different Indy mechanics but they cannot able to get my car going 535 n55. I installed new valvetronic motor and new valve gasket. Cleaned fuel injector. Well the car started but with crazy white smoke after three months. I try to teach valvetronic with Foxwell but it does not communicate. I spend lot of time. Any help I’d appreciated .

• Ok let me get this straight,,,,the valvetronic motor was replaced and now 3 months later you have white smoke,,,,,is that correct?,,,,if that’s correct then it ran ok with the new valvetronic motor with no problems,,,,now after 3 month you have white smoke is this correct

2. Gary says:

Hi guys I am new here. I tried three different Indy mechanics but they cannot able to get my car going 535 n55. I installed new valvetronic motor and new valve gasket. Cleaned fuel injector. Well the car started but with crazy white smoke after three months. I try to teach valvetronic with Foxwell but it does not communicate. I spend lot of time. Any help I’d appreciated. What do you think the problem is

3. Wilson says:

Hi bmwtech, I was replacing eccentric shaft on my N20 engine first time and installed the oil spray nozzle wrong for the eccentric shaft and motor. Part of the oil spray line was shaved off by the eccentric shaft and left markings on eccentric shaft gear. Do I need to replace the whole shaft or is it okay to keep using it, can you please take a look at my intake and exhaust lobe too. Thanks in advance

4. wilson says:

sorry if the same comment was sent previously I don’t see my comment in this post so I’m posting again.

So I just replaced eccentric shaft actuator on my N20 but I installed the oil spray nozzle for the actuator and gear wrong(part #11377583786), I just removed valve cover to put the nozzle in correct way but part of the nozzle was shaved off by eccentric shaft and left markings on the gear.I would like to know if the eccentric shaft is still useable or do I need to replace whole shaft since there are markings on the gear. Can you please check is the oil spray nozzle installed correctly this time and are the intake and exhaust lobe on my engine looking okay.

Thanks!

Image are in the links below: https://imgur.com/a/fMeMeGR

5. Ronin says:

Hi, 2011 n55 335. Had the woodpecker noise for the last few months, the noise stopped now but getting warnings that engine operating at reduced power and no restart possible. I’ve been able to start the car with no problems and the performance has not gone down but a little rough on hard accelerations.
    I’ve scanned the car with ISTA and have the following two codes:
    2DE3 -valvetronic servomotor,activation, volt phase: line disconnection
    371A – valvetronic, supply voltage: line disconnection

Looks like the valvetronic motor is dead and I don’t plan on replacing it. Is there any way to turn off the warnings, I have a huge engine light blinking blocking my display of time/temp that’s very annoying!

• Nope there is no way to turn it off,,,,every time the fault happens that light will come on,,,,,sorry

• Darkstar says:

Why do you not want to replace it?
      The engine can be operated without the valvetronic.
      But it destroys the intermediate levers inside the engine due to uneven wear.

• Ronin says:

I can’t handle this job myself, the quotes I’ve been getting are 2-3K for motor + shaft and I don’t want to put money into this POS. I’ve already gone through two water pumps – exactly at 75K each, power steering pump, both rear calipers seized, oil gasket leaks, etc..

I also pulled up the following codes, it looks like the system shutdown the motor due to overload for protection.
        036D4 – DME Internal fault, activation Valvetronic: malfunction
        02DE5 – Valvetronic overload protection: servomotor overloaded
        02DE9 – Valvetronic component protection, servomotor : deactivation system.

Can the only motor be replaced? Or is the DME the problem?

• It really hard to say if you have a DME problem,,,,you first have to replace the valvetronic motor and see if the problem goes away,,,if it doesn’t then you might have a DME issue also.

• john says:

Is there a eccentric shaft sensor on a n55 motor. I have a 2012 x5.

• Yes ,,,if you look at the middle of the valve cover there is a round electrical plug and that’s where the eccentric motor is.

• john says:

Yes i had the motor replaced and still having idle issues and still in limp mode. I didn’t know if there was a eccentric shaft sensor or I was thinking crankshaft sensor . I know it as the motor thats what you are reffering to right? Possible crankshaft sensor?

• Crankshaft sensor is completely different,,,question is the check engine light on and what are the faults

• john says:

2de1-3011 2c56-2dd8 This was a replacement motor with 80,000 miles after install shop said needed a eccentric motor I am not using that shop anymore so I don’t know if the rapid clicking was there before they changed the motor..Car idles rough for 2 minutes with a little white smoke then goes away and drives fine except check engine light reduction in power. I was looking for other possible answers before replacing shaft because shop or dealer couldn’t say that was exactly the problem. To replace shaft can you give me book time so I know cost so I can compare when the shop gives me there price

Thanks,
        John

• Question is there still a rapid clicking noise,,,,if there is still a noise then maybe they did not perform the teach in procedure for the eccentric motor,,,,ok labor time for the shaft is about 6 to 7 hours

• john says:

They said they did. Would a bad shaft cause the binding. I gave them the one that came off my blown engine and said it would not engage because I was wondering if I got a bad motor from the dealer. Do you think it could be bad or because its moving that rules out a bad motor.

• If the motor is moving it should be good,,,the question is the shaft binding causing the motor to stop and bind

• John says:

Just replaced the shaft and the motor was changed now shop said its putting out a code for position sensor with not even starting the car .He thinks when they tried the original motor that came off my blown engine just to rule out that there might have been a problem with the new one they later realized it had a short and was putting out to much voltage going though it and damaged the ecm. Do you know a sure sign that the an ecm is bad. If it is buying used ok?

6. Joe says:

My car 2011 X5 with N55 also has a rapid clicking noise when lock/unlock the car. Is the noise because of shaft binding?

• It could be the eccentric shaft motor or it could be both motor and shaft.

• Joe says:

Thanks for your quick reply. Actually, I got the eccentric motor replaced at an indie shop, they said the shaft is ok via manual adjusting. After the repair, there is no rapid clicking noise now. The relearn process is fine at that time and drives fine for two weeks. Then, the CEL is on and go to limbo mode some times. Code: 002DCE Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible. The indie shop told me that a DME update may solve the issue. Have you heard anything about this?

• Yes,,,a software update might take care of the issue

• Joe says:

Could you please give me can the book time to do the DME firmware update? Is there any risk for DME firmware update?

• We usually charge 1hr for software update

7. Joe says:

Before I replace the eccentric shaft motor, my car 2011 X5 with N55 cannot start without the rapid clicking noise. But there is no driving issues, CEL light is never on and never go the limp mode. After I replace the eccentric motor, there is no starting issue and no rapid clicking noise, relearn process passed. But after two weeks, CEL is on and the car go to limp mode. Now, the relearn process failed, and rough idle. What do you think about the problem now? The shaft is so expensive, it that possible to just replace the bearing but not the shaft to solve the shaft binding problem? Thanks.

• Oh I don’t know,,,I have never just replaced the bearing and no shaft,,,to replace the bearings you have to remove the shaft anyway.

• Joe says:

Thanks. Remove the shaft is fine. The shaft part itself is almost $1000, not sure whether it can be reused. Based on your experience, what is the reason that the shaft is binding?

• Joe says:

Hi, here is some updates from my mechanic. After replacing the shaft and start the car, it goes to limp mode and says the engine need to be timed. After he times the engine, the car is driveable without go to limp mode. But a new fault code is on after driving 10 minutes. The faults code is “28A0: throttle valve angle – Intake manifold absolute comparison: pressure too high”. I did some research online, someone says the reason is the Camshaft Bearing caps were actually starting to fail. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977220
        Do you have any insight about this fault code under this situation? Thanks.

• Yes it’s a good possibility that the bearing caps are going bad,,,,and that probably why the engine timing was off,,,,you might have the mechanic take a look at the intake camshaft bearing caps.

• Joe says:

You mentioned “take a look at intake camshaft bearing caps”. Is the “Intake camshaft” is the one you replace in your post? I mean is there only one camshaft or tow camshaft (intake camshaft and camshaft)?

• Joe says:

Also, can intake camshaft bearing caps be replaced without replacing the camshaft? Thanks.

• To be honest I don’t know,,,,I have never done that,,,due to the BMW’s protocols will not let us do that,,,,but I have seen some weird things,,,I have seen someone sand the camshaft bearing to make them smooth and it worked,,,,so yes I think it will work,,,you also have to look at the camshaft journals if they are still smooth.

8. john says:

I have replaced the motor and the shaft and they are now telling me the dme might be bad. Is there a way to tell for sure if it’s bad. They are getting position sensor fault after the new motor and shaft installed without starting the car. The motor def movs but does that mean die is good. Before repaire was made I had reduction in power fault and intake camshaft install faulty. Car idled rough for first 2 minutes and ran fine and also made the binding noise. Just wondering if the due was bad would the car still run ok?

Thanks

9. Joe says:

Based on your experience, what are the reasons that the eccentric shaft is binding?

• A lot of it is lack of oil services,,the shaft and roller bearings start to bind

• Joe says:

Normally, if just replace the eccentric shaft, is engine timing required or not?

• roel says:

hello bmw tecnician
        I have a problem with my BMW 535i N55 engine.
        I bought the car 15,000 km ago and during test drive I received the error message 135604 valvotronic system no adjustment possible. after erasing this, I drove 10,000 km. only rough switching of the automatic at high speeds and long distances. then I got the same message again with number 135604 .. cleared and driven 5000 km .. only now comes the message more often and the car gets a motor failure message which makes it difficult to start and lose power every time. the car has a total of 105,000 km
        help me!

• sorry that fault code 135604 doesn’t work for me,,,but what you are saying that the valvetronic system has no adjustment and difficult to start and no power,,,could be a bad valvetronic motor which would cause those problems.

10. roel says:

hallo bmw tecnician
    ik heb een probleem met mijn bmw 535i n55 motor.
    ik heb de auto 15.000km geleden gekocht en heb tijdens proefrijden de foutmelding 135604 valvotronic systeem geen vertelling mogelijk gekregen. na deze gewist te hebben heb ik 10.000km gereden. alleen soms bij hoge snelheden en lange afstanden ruw schakelen van de automatic. daarna heb ik weer dezelfde melding gekregen met nummer 135604.. gewist en 5000 km gereden.. alleen nu komt de melding vaker en krijgt de auto een motorstoring melding waardoor hij elke keer moeilijk start en vermogen verliest.
    help mij!

11. roel says:

hello bmw tecnician
    I have a problem with my BMW 535i N55 engine.
    I bought the car 15,000 km ago and during test drive I received the error message 135604 valvotronic system no telling possible. after erasing this, I drove 10,000 km. only rough switching of the automatic at high speeds and long distances. then I got the same message again with number 135604 .. cleared and driven 5000 km .. only now comes the message more often and the car gets a motor failure message which makes it difficult to start and lose power every time.
    help me!

12. roel says:

the car drives total 105000km

13. Joe says:

Now here is the full story of my repair so far, Hope no repair in future.

At the beginning I notice a terrible clicking/ binding noise coming from the engine bay when I lock/unlock the car. Then, occasionally, the engine has hot start problems. It cranks, starts, rough idle and then stalled. No problem with cold start and driving and there is no CEL, but when I pull to the car to the dealer, it shows fault code P1030, which means the Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Motor has a problem.

First repair: I got the eccentric motor replaced at an indie shop, the mechanic said he feels the eccentric shaft is ok when he adjusting manually. After the replacement, the relearn process passed, there is no rapid clicking noise, driving fine, but sometimes a slightly rough idle.

Second repair: But just after two weeks, the CEL is on and go to limbo mode sometimes. The Fault Code is 002DCE Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible. The CEL light is on and off. When the mechanic runs the relearn process, it failed. After that, the car goes to limp mode every time it starts. The test plan for the motor passed, but the test plan for the eccentric shaft always fails at the second step. He also updates the DME firmware to the latest version, but the eccentric shaft test plan still fails at the second step. The mechanic then orders the eccentric shaft and bearing, and replace them.

Third repair: Just after the assembling and starting the car, the car went to the limp mode immediately saying the exhaust camshaft is off timing. He has to open the valve cover again and did the camshaft timing. After this, the car drives fine, but sometimes a slightly rough idle which is very similar after the first repair. But after a short drive, the CEL is on. The faults code is “28A0: throttle valve angle – Intake manifold absolute comparison: pressure too high”. He checked all vacuum lines, pressure switches, and MAF sensors. The smoke test passed too. Nothing is wrong. The CEL light is always on after erasing it and doing a test drive. We are really frustrated and decide to accept the fact.

But when I pick up the car after a short test drive, the CEL is off magically! I drove the car for several trips locally and highway for two days, the CEL is still off. Based on your experience, can you make a guess about what happens for the “28A0” fault code? Thanks.

• I have seen this only a couple of times,,,and it has to do with dirty oil,,,,I was also at wits ends and finally performed a oil service and my problem went away,,,,clean oil plays a big part in the vanos units and eccentric shaft motor and shaft,,,it needs clean oil to operate correctly

• Joe says:

Thanks. I just did an oil change two months before the repair. Should I do another oil change after the repair?

• You could if you like,,,,or let it be if it’s not broke,,,lol

• Joe says:

Have you dealt with fault code “28A0: throttle valve angle – Intake manifold absolute comparison: pressure too high” before? I am thinking whether I have this code before is due to DME reset and change the eccentric shaft/motor. The code is trigger before adapting/relearning finish.

• The code might have been before you reset the DME,,,question is the faults gone now after you reset the DME and performed the relearning the valvetronic motor.

14. Zero says:

Hello, my 2013 X5 (N55) the current condition is “crank no start” the vehicle was scanned with an updated ISTA-D and this code is present. 002DDD6 and the SAE Code P10E2 the Valve Angle 179 Grad. Valvetronic Servomotor, Position Sensors, Short Circuit or Line disconnection. Scanned three different times all recommending replace the wire loom between DME and Valvetronic. Can you provide me with your opinion or directions? Thank you for all you do.

• What you need to do is check and unplug the connector to the eccentric shaft valvetronic motor and see if there is any oil inside the connector and plug,,,,if there is then you should see if the oil went into the DME,,,you will have to disconnect all the connector and see went into the DME,,,,if it did then you should replace that harness for the valvetronic motor to the DME and also replace the eccentric shaft valvetronic motor under the valve cover because that’s where the oil is coming from and causing the problem.

• Zero says:

Thank you for the quick reply, I did check for oil in the wire connector and no oil. What makes me think the loom is the first option is because the HPFP no longer primes when opening the doors and the rattle noise from the Valvetronic motor stop making noise. I have ordered the wire loom and it should arrive around Dec. 30th

15. Zero says:

Sorry for the late reply, well I did try replacing the wire loom with no luck. I have an estimate of $2200.00 for replacing the servomotor replacement with a new valve cover and gasket. Shop said that I have a 50/50 chance the new serovmotor will sink, that statement seems weird? What are your thoughts about that statement about the price? Thanks in advance.

• The price does seem kind of high,,,,he should be charging you about 6hr labor plus parts,,,,,and yes you do have a 50/50 chance this will work,,,,you could have other issues maybe DME or eccentric shaft and levers

16. Zero says:

“Valvetronic run-in procedure” is the term used in newtis.info
    I can only hope the mechanic has been trained? lol

17. Zero says:

In your opinion, what would be the average cost estimate or dollar amount for the above mentioned work?
    Thank you.

• I don’t know how much it would cost for valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft and bearing replaced,,,,I can tell you the labor should be about 7hr plus parts,,,,if you replace just the valvetronic motor should be about 5hr

18. Zero says:

Well, the servomotor did not work fix the problem, now the shop said there are additional new codes pointing towards the eccentric shaft and bearings out of specs? I am wondering if the DME has stored false or ghost codes according to a 2016 BMW Technical Service. BMW TSB SI B11 06 16
    I have asked the repair shop for the new codes pointing towards the eccentric shaft and bearings, but no reply yet. Would you know what codes are related to replacing the eccentric shaft?

19. John R Pyle Jr says:

Hello sir,
    Glad you left the RV business, and back to BMW! I’m having issues with my 14 435ix (N55) automatic. idrive cycling threw multiple malfunctions repeatedly (hood opened, DT, Trans Malf, driver asst, ABS, STEERING malfunctions). During this time #6 injector leaked, subsequently replaced. No car is stuck in limp mode with codes:
    ***133E10, 123401, 123432
    Do you think codes need to be cleared with ISTA or something more involved? Th
    John

20. Zero says:

Thanks for the reply,
    Unfortunately,
    My 2013 X5 (N55) with 50K miles needs the complete Eccentric Shaft Servomotor replaced and
    $5000 to $5500 is the repair estimate. OUCH…!
    Does anyone know if BMW will take responsibility and help BMW Customers with the Eccentric Shaft Servomotor problems?
    Perhaps I already know the answer, BMW blames the owners?

21. Zero says:

I agree with you that the price is outrageous but what are my options?
    I live in Midwest America and not enough resources in my area.
    Help anyone?

22. Ts. Nikolov says:

Hello there,

I heard that weird sound from the valvetronic actuator today. I’ve just checked the codes and there is 002DE1 (valvetronic actuator motor, position sensor, plausibility: fine hall signal to each other implausibe). This looks like the typical problem and I’ll change this actuator for sure but it seems like there is a serious oil leak in front of the motor. Is it possible to change only the head gasket or i should change the entire part (head cover + gasket)?

Thank you, you are amazing!!!
    Best regards from Europe

23. roncleung@yahoo.com says:

Hi bmwtechnician,

Car: 2012 X3 35i with 50k miles.

Car parked for two weeks. Started it up and drove about 30 miles. Car runs fine with no check engine light. Stopped to get a quick meal for 10 mins.
    Pressed the start button, it cranked but no start. And Drivetrain malfunction message pop up. After a few more tries without success, I let it sit for a couple hours. And still no start. Although it still have the original battery, voltage is good. It cranks very strong.

I have bimmerlink, I scanned it and it said

” Code 113027, Relay ignition and injectors, supply voltageinjection: line break”

and

” code 801C06 VcmErrorSvtGeneration-SVT Is Generation: SVT- Could Not Be Generated “

• It really hard to say what the problem is,,,the code 113027 was for a old programming issue,,,which could be your problem,,,But I don’t like that line break and could not be generated fault,,,I would check the fuses and for any harness damage to start.

24. Steven says:

Hi, I have a 535xi F10 2011, I have 3 codes 1)Valvetronic adjustment range: fault range check. 2)Intake camshaft: installation faulty. 3)charging pressure control: switch-off as consequence.

I changed my valvetronic motor and havent done the relearn test yet I will do attempt to do it tomorrow. checked the shaft seemed good so didnt replace it. Now my question is are these codes all related? Because I checked the timing 3 times and everything was perfect so it cant be that.. Please help.

25. Pingback: Bmw N55 – free

26. Albert says:

Hi, got the P1030 code on different OBD2 app and 133E10 on carly. I don’t have the click noise some people mention happening when you unlock car. I have a mild to rough idle, nothing crazy as if it is misfiring. Car drivers fine no performance loss. 2015 bmw 335i xdrive, 50k miles.

Few weeks ago I replaced spark plugs to NGK one step colder plugs gapped at .022. I noticed some oil in spark plug wells, someone who I thought they knew there stuff, but I am thinking that maybe I have a bad VCG, would this cause my issues? Or is it the VVT and Eccentric shaft, really wishing its not, don’t want to dish out 3-4k on it. I am currently getting ISTA+ to see if I can get more precise codes. Thanks for any help.

• Yes the oil in the spark plug holes is from your valve cover gasket leaking and no that is not your problem,,,unless the oil damaged the ignition coil when it was sitting in that oil,,,then maybe that will cause a rough running issue,,,,but it still could be your VVT.

• Albert says:

Okay, so I had a tune on the car, and I returned to stock tune, and unfortunately it looks like things got worse lol… Now, the rough idling is gone, but during warmup it seems like its slightly idling higher, but once the exhaust valve opens, it goes to the line just above the 500 rpm mark, and doesn’t seem to be rough idling. Unfortunately it did stall out on me a few times now and the drivetrain malfunction popped up.

I read that there is usually a clicking noise before turning the car on, basically when you unlock the car, I don’t have that. Here is a list of codes from Carly App, 134A02, 135302, INFO 135704, INFO 135502, INFO 21A000. Could I be having these errors due to a bad battery? MY battery is 6 years old the original battery. I wrote 2015 that was a mistake, I meant to write 2014, built in March of 2014, so battery is 6 years old.

Thank you for any help in advance! I really appreciate it.

• Albert says:

Here are some clips of my car under the hood, first clip is when I unlocked the car with the key fob only. Second clip is when car was put into the on/ accessory position, click push button no foot on brake.

Thanks for help

• Thanks for the video,,,,,thanks for telling me your car has a tune and modified charge pipe,,,,lol,,,,first thing I would replace the car battery which could cause some issues and is the cheapest and easiest thing to replace to start,,,,and yes a low battery voltage can cause some weird issue with the VVT before start up because it need correct voltage and low battery doesn’t help,,,then I would see how the car runs,,,you still might Issues,,,,question did you have a piggyback on the DME?

• Albert says:

Haha, sorry I forgot to mention in first post. No piggyback, upgraded aluminum charge pipe, a bigger intercooler, upgraded air intake and catless downpipe. I had a bootmod3 tune on it which I have since taken off and am currently on the stock tune. I checked the battery voltage using Carly last night, it appeared to be in normal range, about 11 when car is in on position and steady at 15.0 when car is turned completely on. So since returning to stock tune, I haven’t had any issues. I took it for a little drive last night, and car never stalled, no rough idle, no other symptoms car drove like it normally did. Drove as if nothing was wrong. First thing tomorrow will purchase a new battery from BMW and install, they are closed today.

Are there any symptoms of a bad VVT and/or eccentric shaft?

Thanks again for your help, I truly appreciate it!

• Sounds like it is slightly modified,,,lol,,,,a bad VVT would be a clicking noise from the valve cover area during start up or shutting off,,,rough running or power loss

27. Albert says:

Also forgot to mention, I am in process of getting ISTS+, and will attempt a relearn of thr VVT. Really trying to avoid having to pay $3-4000 to replace this, as I won’t be able to do this job.