N55 eccentric shaft,valvetronic motor

Ok this is going to be a long post with a lot of pictures,,,,N55 check engine light on,,,,faults were valvetronic motor and valvetronic won’t reach its limit,,,,performed the test plan,,,operated the valvetronic motor test which passed the test twice,,,but when I started the engine it would fail again ,,,,which tells me all these BMW test are not always correct,,,,lol,,,after more testing it finally said the valvetronic motor and the eccentric shaft should be replaced ok,,,,now the fun started. Here you can see I already removed the fuel injectors and the 3 injector and spark plug stands,,,you have to remove them to gain better access to the valvetronic motor,,,,,also notice the oiler line,,,,you should also replace this at the same time.  Here you can see all the injector and spark plug stands removed. Now the fun started,,,during inspection I found the intake camshaft lobes pitted,,,only cylinder 5 and 6 were pitted,,,,we have no idea what caused this or what happened,,,,now are repairs have changed,,,,we are going to replace the valvetronic motor,eccentric shaft,roller rocker arms and eccentric levers. Here the valvetronic motor which is just a worm gear ,,,,,which can move the eccentric shaft very fast.now here is one of BMW over engineered tools needed to remove and install the the eccentric shaft lever springs,,,,you need this tool to perform this job,,,,there is no other way to do this without hurting yourself.,,,even with this tool you can hurt yourself,,,,,there is a lot of tension on those springs. Here is the new intake camshaft and eccentric shaft,,,,you can see the gear on the eccentric shaft which locks into the valvetronic motor.  When replacing the eccentric shaft there are also 6 needle bearing that have to be replace,,,,the needle bearing and the 2 bearing half shell bearing.this I show you replace them,,,,,they are a split open,,,,you carefully spread them open over the eccentric shaft and make sure they spin freely. Here are all the new eccentric shaft levers. When replacing the levers and the roller rocker arms,,,,they all have numbers on them,,,,,so when you order new ones you need to know what the number is in the engine now,,,,the levers and the roller arms are both 02. Here is the roller rocker arm you can see number 2 stamped in it. . Her is the final assembly ,,,what I also forgot to say the vanos gear is removed,,,,because you will be timing the engine,,,,once your done you hope it starts,,,,you also have to perform a teach in for valvetronic motor ,,,,it performs about 50 test without it failing,,,,if it fails you have to start the test all over again.

69 Responses to N55 eccentric shaft,valvetronic motor

1. kr4va says:

wow, what a post,, pitting- surface hardness processs issues?

2. bmw535blog says:

Hi bmwtechnician. After remove valvecover it’s easy to replace the valvetronic motor?
    Thanks. John.

• No it not that easy,,,,you have to adjust the eccentric shaft so you can get to all the bolts and so you can slide it out,,,there isn’t that much room to get it out once you take the valve cover off,,,,you have to take out the injector stands and maybe the injector.

3. Darkstar says:

Do the car had an uneven acceleration and lack of power? If I disconnect the electric valvetronic motor, my ECU goes in limp mode, but the acceleration is much smoother and der rough idle is completely gone. To avoid the limp mode, I have used EDIABAS/INPA to open the valves to 99% manually. If I do this, the car runs much smoother and faster! Do you think it could be the electric motor? It passes the valvetronic test on Rheingold every time …

• It could be your problem,,,,do you have any faults

• Darkstar says:

I have rough idle(which is gone, if I disconnect the VVT motor), juddery acceleration(especially in low RPM range, which is almost completely gone, if I disconnect the VVT motor) and the power delivery is very uneven + lack of torque. The ECU is empty, no codes have been thrown …

It seems like a valvetronic problem, but I’m not sure, because I have no codes …
        And I don’t want to disassemble it just4fun, because I know how much work has to be done -.-

• I understand,,,,but I can’t be 100% that’s your problem,,,,it a very tuff call,,,,it could be something else,,,,,,like a vanos unit going bad?,,,,,,I just can’t make that call

4. Don says:

Great write up, thanks for sharing. Did you use Rheingold to re-teach the valvetronic motor? I am having trouble finding the calibration procedure, so will appreciate any suggestions. Background: clicking sound when unlocking/locking the F30 BMW, N20 engine. Errors: 135608 Valvetronic system no movement detected, 135808, and 135B11, all valvetronic related. Can turn the shaft by manually rotating the valvetronic motor eccentric gear via an allen wrench. When hooking up a spare valvetronic motor, its eccentric gear moves without any clicking sound. I suspect the valvetronic motor needs to be replaced. Do you need to use the fancy tool to replace the valvetronic motor or it can be changed without removing lever springs?

• Don says:

Please disregard the replacement part of the question since I have found it via 11 37 020Removing and installing/replacing servomotor for eccentric shaft (N20, N26). Would still appreciate the adaptation/re-teaching procedure. Thanks.

• You can remove it without removing the springs,,,,,it’s a tight fit,,,,no I used ISTA to calibrate the eccentric shaft motor,,,there should be some kind of teach in procedure

5. Wank says:

My 335i n55 start but wont turn on. Dtc 2dc5, 2dcf, 2dc6, sometimes the car start and run but after a while the same problem. I’ve replaced the valvetronic motor.

6. Wank says:

Yes engine run before, but sometimes same issue. Quick fix, disconnect battery and sometimes the engine will run.

Now: car start but no run. Could it be the eccentric shaft or camshaft?

7. Wank says:

Without any dtc? I will check the vanos units

8. Wank says:

DME failure, I’ve replaced the DME. Thanks!

9. Dan says:

Hi,
    I am in a similar situation with a 2013 BMW X1 xdrive 35i and the current diagnosis is that the valve tronic motor and shaft need to be replace. I have an aftermarket warranty currently and according to the BMW service agent they are going to cover the replacement of these two parts.

My problem is that the dealership is claiming that the fuel injectors need to be removed (as you noted in the disassembly instructions), but that they will all be broken in the process as they only take 5 NM of force and I will be responsible for this collateral damage to the tune of 3400 bucks. Crazy….

So my question… is there any truth to their claim?

• They will not all break ,,,,this is the BMW dealer covering their ass if they do break,,,,,I have taken them out a lot and never had them break,,,,you just have to be careful in your work,,,,,don’t get me wrong they can break but you have to be really careless and not know what you are doing.

10. Asokan says:

Hi Guys, I have a 2012, BMW 320 with the same problem. replaced the valvetronic motor, car starts and runs however the valvertonic comes up with a permanent fault. Any suggestions. Appears Wank resolved this with anew DME.

11. Neil says:

Hello, I have a 2011 535i. The car cranks but does not start and has 3 valvetronic codes.
    1) 135608: Valvetronic system no movement identified
    2) 135B11: Valvetronic servomotor, activation, volt phase: Line disconnection
    3) 1F0904: DME, Internal fault, activation Valvetronic: malfunction
    Im getting power through the integrated supply module, and I replaced the wire from the dme to the valvetronic motor I believe it is. I wanted to know if the reason why the car won’t start is because of the valvetronic motor alone or its something else that would be causing that. Thanks in advance.

• Sound like the valvetronic motor might be bad,,,,but I’m worried about that DME line fault,,,,you might have a couple of problems,,,,,,can you feel or hear the valvetronic motor move when you cycle the key on,,,,if you don’t feel or hear it move,,,then that could be your problem.

12. Hey so me and my boyfriend changed out the valvetronic/eccentric shaft sensor and the car won’t start. Everything else like the radio comes on. I wanted to know if you knew what that may be ? And also does it matter if we purchase the eccentric shaft sensor online instead of from the dealership?

• If the parts are aftermarket it might make a different,,,,,does the engine crank and turn over,,,,,also are you guys able to check for any faults

• Yes it did crank and turn over

• Were you able to check for any faults in the system

• I can’t check faults right now, but could . The engine did crank, but now it wont. At first I tried to start the motor a few times, without doing the reset procedure for the valvotronic motor. It cranked a few times. I tried again, and again until it wouldn’t crank at all. Looked online found out about the procedure. I went out today did the procedure. I can hear the valvotronic motor move a little when pressing the start button to turn on the dash lights. But it wont crank at all, and give me a warning light that it needs work done.

What I’m wondering right now is, if cranking the engine without the procedure burns out the valvotronic motor. and if so why can i hear it move when pressing the start button. If I can hear it try to reset, is it possible reseting the code fix the issue.

• I don’t think you burnt out the valvetronic motor by not resetting it,,,I think something else is going on,,,are you sure your battery is good and strong,,,maybe put a car charger on the car,,,,and check faults

13. Darren lynes says:

Hi wonder if you could help me, I’m having a recurring fault with my 135i, I keep getting the code 2DCE (Valvetronic no adjustment possible)

When the code appears the car goes into limp mode and then will struggle to start if turned off. Also hear a slow click nose from servo motor.

Servomotor was replaced and still same code. Only now the clicking is fast kinda of like a wood pecker noise.

Thanks in advance.

• I would remove and reinstall the valvetronic motor to make sure the teeth on the gears are aligned properly ,,,,,and if that doesn’t work,,,,you might have a problem with the eccentric shaft or one of the vanos unit could be bad.

• Darren lynes says:

Hi, Installation had been checked, motor moves smoothly with eccentric shaft, Could you elaborate on how fault 2DCE could be associated with a vanos fault? The car dos have the Vanos bolt recall a few years ago.

Thanks for you time.

• Ok if the motor is moving freely,,,,then you might have a problem with the eccentric shaft,,,,,the valvetronic motor moves the eccentric shaft,,,,now the vanos unit might be jamming causing the camshaft not to advance or retard which is causing the eccentric shaft and valvetronic not to reach there limit,,,,,,it’s hard to explain,,,,but they all work together and sometimes you get a fault for one thing and it could lead in to something else,,,,your problem even makes it harder when you can’t get the car started and you can’t run any test,,,,I hope this helps

• Darren lynes says:

Sorry maybe I didn’t make my self clear enough, When the fault presents itself the car will go to limp mode then struggle to start if I turn the car off, but after a few start attempts the car restarts and then the car runs perfect again until the fault appears again.

Is there any tests I can do?

• Sorry I misunderstood ,,,,yes you can run the valvetronic test and the eccentric shaft test and make sure they are reaching there limit.

• Darren lynes says:

Hi, So eccentric shaft won’t meet its end stops, it tends to sit at the half way point and won’t start in this position, only way of driving the car is to try starting multiple times until it moves or by physically rotating the eccentric shaft via screw on servo motor and then leaving the motor disconnected.

Shaft turns easily via the screw on the servo motor and servo motor is brand new. Puzzled as to what’s wrong!

• It sounds like the eccentric shaft might be your problem.

• Darren lynes says:

Dropped the car off at a Indy and now cars totally fixed, Complete waste of time doing the servomotor, Just needed a DME software update.

• That’s interesting,,,,did you have any aftermarket software installed on your car?,,,,I’m just wondering what happen to your DME software

• Darren lynes says:

Car is standard as far as I’m aware.

14. Kocak says:

Hey!
    hope you can help me!
    Exactly like this problem is on my car!
    And they switched everything like you and the camshaft looken just like yours!
    We have switched valvetronic engine, excenter shaft and dme.
    the car did not start until we had changed the dme but now they come up with two other error codes:
    0x16440 inlet camshaft, mecanism: installation faulty
    0x16441: exhaust camshaft – || -.
    do you know what the problem can be?
    they do not find the error even that they have picked up all the questions multiple times.

15. Danielle says:

Needs Related to Original Concern Status Notes Recommendation Total $ Accept Decline

DEFAULT CLIENT STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON MA001 PERFORMED SERVICE TEST, FOUND FAULTS-2DCE, 2E0F, 2DCF-VALVETRONIC ADJUSTMENT NOT POSSIBLE. FOLLOWED TEST PLAN, FOUND ECCENTRIC SHAFT FAULTY, CAUSING VALVTRONIC MOTOR FAILURE. PER TEST PLAN REPLACE ECCENTRIC SHAFT, VALVETRONIC MOTOR, AND OIL SPRAYER NOZZLE, PROGRAM VEHICLE, THEN RECHECK FOR FURTHER ISSUES $4,886.77

I have a 2011 BMW X5. This is the third “engine malfunction” I have has this year. The latest one above is the final straw. I refuse to put in $5K for this latest repair. How are these issues not covered under a recall?? Please comment on the above as I believe I an going to turn in to dealer for another vehicle. What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your input!

• I understand your frustration ,,,,at some point you just have to walk away from a car,,,,,and I think your at that point where you just want to get rid of that car and get in to a new car with no more problem.

16. Michael says:

My 2011 n55 335xi went into limp mode while driving and when I got it home shows code P1030. I noticed in the past few months hard starts after hot soak, not sure if this is related.
    Are there any tests at home I can perform before trying to take it to a dealer? Is it safe to try and restart the car, clear the fault code, etc?
    Thanks for your reply!

17. Simon Gagnon says:

Hi , I have a 328xi 2013 with 2.0 twin scroll and i was wondering, since I have the car, everytimes I leave the car sitting for more than 5mins and unlock or approach the car with the key, the valvetronic is making that woodpicker sound for 1 whole second. Never had any fault nor check engine. I do have to wait 2-3 seconds on accessories on before starting sometimes though, if not, I have no power if I try to accelerate. I need to shut off engine, start it again and everything is fine after. What can be the cause of that sound. I would bet its the valvetronic motor reaching its limit and making the eccentric shaft springs bounce to the end-position?

• Yes it sounds like the valvetronic motor is racheting and checking the eccentric lever limits,,,,,the question is why is it doing that and why hasn’t the check engine light come on,,,,this sound like a problem getting ready to happen,,,,,have you had the engine scanned for any faults yet.

18. robert knapp says:

Another 2011 BMW X5 with 55k miles supper clean HX- I was getting the woodpecker chatter as commonly reported upon wake up. Had car scanned and codes 2DD6 Existent No 2DD8 Existent Yes but car ran fine not issues. within weeks quite haring woodpecker noise and all good. Driving X5 and warnings about reduced power, coasted to stop car never started again. New codes. 2DE3 – Yes, 2DE5 -No, 2DE9 – No, 36D4-No, – Car turns over no start – it does puff once in a while as if it wants to but no dice. Towed to indy and was told new VTmotor needed. Replaced tried to releran no success and had to re program DME. But can’t do 1 having to reprogram entire car. 6 hrs and counting. Fingers crossed but as much trouble as we have had with the 2011, i’m doubtful. Does all this sound inline. Thanks for sharing your knowledge to all us frustrated owners.

19. robert knapp says:

Is that often a problem, not being able to relearn? Are you hinting that it could be DME causing the VT motor to go out or does the motor cause the DME to burn a circuit? I understand the woodpecker sound is the motor clicking and shaft not turning but what causes that? Does it not know the true position of the eccentric shaft and the shaft is at it’s limit?

• Sometimes the DME gets stupid and it has to relearn and start all over,,,the racheting is the valvetronic motor not stopping at the limit stop,,,that can be a couple of problems,,,first you replace the valvetronic motor and if that doesn’t help then you probably have a problem with the eccentric shaft and roller bearings

• robert knapp says:

They reprogrammed the entire car and all modules reprogramed without error. But still can’t program valvetronic motor sensors. Shows dead circuit from DME to motor. All fuses are good and now sending off to have DME repaired. $350 if success 100 if not. Can the valvetronic motor actually make the DME circuitry to VT go bad?

• I really don’t know,,,,but anything is possible