N55 eccentric shaft,valvetronic motor

Ok this is going to be a long post with a lot of pictures,,,,N55 check engine light on,,,,faults were valvetronic motor and valvetronic won’t reach its limit,,,,performed the test plan,,,operated the valvetronic motor test which passed the test twice,,,but when I started the engine it would fail again ,,,,which tells me all these BMW test are not always correct,,,,lol,,,after more testing it finally said the valvetronic motor and the eccentric shaft should be replaced ok,,,,now the fun started. Here you can see I already removed the fuel injectors and the 3 injector and spark plug stands,,,you have to remove them to gain better access to the valvetronic motor,,,,,also notice the oiler line,,,,you should also replace this at the same time.  Here you can see all the injector and spark plug stands removed. Now the fun started,,,during inspection I found the intake camshaft lobes pitted,,,only cylinder 5 and 6 were pitted,,,,we have no idea what caused this or what happened,,,,now are repairs have changed,,,,we are going to replace the valvetronic motor,eccentric shaft,roller rocker arms and eccentric levers. Here the valvetronic motor which is just a worm gear ,,,,,which can move the eccentric shaft very fast.now here is one of BMW over engineered tools needed to remove and install the the eccentric shaft lever springs,,,,you need this tool to perform this job,,,,there is no other way to do this without hurting yourself.,,,even with this tool you can hurt yourself,,,,,there is a lot of tension on those springs. Here is the new intake camshaft and eccentric shaft,,,,you can see the gear on the eccentric shaft which locks into the valvetronic motor.  When replacing the eccentric shaft there are also 6 needle bearing that have to be replace,,,,the needle bearing and the 2 bearing half shell bearing.this I show you replace them,,,,,they are a split open,,,,you carefully spread them open over the eccentric shaft and make sure they spin freely. Here are all the new eccentric shaft levers. When replacing the levers and the roller rocker arms,,,,they all have numbers on them,,,,,so when you order new ones you need to know what the number is in the engine now,,,,the levers and the roller arms are both 02. Here is the roller rocker arm you can see number 2 stamped in it. . Her is the final assembly ,,,what I also forgot to say the vanos gear is removed,,,,because you will be timing the engine,,,,once your done you hope it starts,,,,you also have to perform a teach in for valvetronic motor ,,,,it performs about 50 test without it failing,,,,if it fails you have to start the test all over again.

194 Responses to N55 eccentric shaft,valvetronic motor

1. Gary says:

Hi guys I am new here. I tried three different Indy mechanics but they cannot able to get my car going 535 n55. I installed new valvetronic motor and new valve gasket. Cleaned fuel injector. Well the car started but with crazy white smoke after three months. I try to teach valvetronic with Foxwell but it does not communicate. I spend lot of time. Any help I’d appreciated .

• Ok let me get this straight,,,,the valvetronic motor was replaced and now 3 months later you have white smoke,,,,,is that correct?,,,,if that’s correct then it ran ok with the new valvetronic motor with no problems,,,,now after 3 month you have white smoke is this correct

2. Gary says:

Hi guys I am new here. I tried three different Indy mechanics but they cannot able to get my car going 535 n55. I installed new valvetronic motor and new valve gasket. Cleaned fuel injector. Well the car started but with crazy white smoke after three months. I try to teach valvetronic with Foxwell but it does not communicate. I spend lot of time. Any help I’d appreciated. What do you think the problem is

3. Wilson says:

Hi bmwtech, I was replacing eccentric shaft on my N20 engine first time and installed the oil spray nozzle wrong for the eccentric shaft and motor. Part of the oil spray line was shaved off by the eccentric shaft and left markings on eccentric shaft gear. Do I need to replace the whole shaft or is it okay to keep using it, can you please take a look at my intake and exhaust lobe too. Thanks in advance

4. wilson says:

sorry if the same comment was sent previously I don’t see my comment in this post so I’m posting again.

So I just replaced eccentric shaft actuator on my N20 but I installed the oil spray nozzle for the actuator and gear wrong(part #11377583786), I just removed valve cover to put the nozzle in correct way but part of the nozzle was shaved off by eccentric shaft and left markings on the gear.I would like to know if the eccentric shaft is still useable or do I need to replace whole shaft since there are markings on the gear. Can you please check is the oil spray nozzle installed correctly this time and are the intake and exhaust lobe on my engine looking okay.

Thanks!

Image are in the links below: https://imgur.com/a/fMeMeGR

5. Ronin says:

Hi, 2011 n55 335. Had the woodpecker noise for the last few months, the noise stopped now but getting warnings that engine operating at reduced power and no restart possible. I’ve been able to start the car with no problems and the performance has not gone down but a little rough on hard accelerations.
    I’ve scanned the car with ISTA and have the following two codes:
    2DE3 -valvetronic servomotor,activation, volt phase: line disconnection
    371A – valvetronic, supply voltage: line disconnection

Looks like the valvetronic motor is dead and I don’t plan on replacing it. Is there any way to turn off the warnings, I have a huge engine light blinking blocking my display of time/temp that’s very annoying!

• Nope there is no way to turn it off,,,,every time the fault happens that light will come on,,,,,sorry

• Darkstar says:

Why do you not want to replace it?
      The engine can be operated without the valvetronic.
      But it destroys the intermediate levers inside the engine due to uneven wear.

• Ronin says:

I can’t handle this job myself, the quotes I’ve been getting are 2-3K for motor + shaft and I don’t want to put money into this POS. I’ve already gone through two water pumps – exactly at 75K each, power steering pump, both rear calipers seized, oil gasket leaks, etc..

I also pulled up the following codes, it looks like the system shutdown the motor due to overload for protection.
        036D4 – DME Internal fault, activation Valvetronic: malfunction
        02DE5 – Valvetronic overload protection: servomotor overloaded
        02DE9 – Valvetronic component protection, servomotor : deactivation system.

Can the only motor be replaced? Or is the DME the problem?

• It really hard to say if you have a DME problem,,,,you first have to replace the valvetronic motor and see if the problem goes away,,,if it doesn’t then you might have a DME issue also.

• john says:

Is there a eccentric shaft sensor on a n55 motor. I have a 2012 x5.

• Yes ,,,if you look at the middle of the valve cover there is a round electrical plug and that’s where the eccentric motor is.

• john says:

Yes i had the motor replaced and still having idle issues and still in limp mode. I didn’t know if there was a eccentric shaft sensor or I was thinking crankshaft sensor . I know it as the motor thats what you are reffering to right? Possible crankshaft sensor?

• Crankshaft sensor is completely different,,,question is the check engine light on and what are the faults

• john says:

2de1-3011 2c56-2dd8 This was a replacement motor with 80,000 miles after install shop said needed a eccentric motor I am not using that shop anymore so I don’t know if the rapid clicking was there before they changed the motor..Car idles rough for 2 minutes with a little white smoke then goes away and drives fine except check engine light reduction in power. I was looking for other possible answers before replacing shaft because shop or dealer couldn’t say that was exactly the problem. To replace shaft can you give me book time so I know cost so I can compare when the shop gives me there price

Thanks,
        John

• Question is there still a rapid clicking noise,,,,if there is still a noise then maybe they did not perform the teach in procedure for the eccentric motor,,,,ok labor time for the shaft is about 6 to 7 hours

• john says:

They said they did. Would a bad shaft cause the binding. I gave them the one that came off my blown engine and said it would not engage because I was wondering if I got a bad motor from the dealer. Do you think it could be bad or because its moving that rules out a bad motor.

• If the motor is moving it should be good,,,the question is the shaft binding causing the motor to stop and bind