N20 engine mount

I hope everyone had a safe July 4,,,,here’s  a picture of N20 engine mounts from a F10,,,,the problem was the customer said the car was running rough,,,,the rough running got worse when you shifted it back into park,,,,in drive you could still notice it but not as bad when it was in park,,,,I checked out the engine mounts and found the passengers side mount was collapsed,,,,you can see the new mount on the left side is taller then the old one. Here the new engine mount is installed,,,,you can see a gap between the engine mount and mount support bracket,,,,you can see the 4 black marks where the old collapsed engine mount was hitting the mount support bracket,,,,can you do this repair at home yes you can,,,,when replacing the passengers side you have to support the engine and remove the engine support bracket at the same time,,,,,,the drivers side is a lot harder to replace .

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to N20 engine mount

1. Buddha says:

Hello,
    How this is going to look for DIY? How hard is it? Dealership diagnosed as bad mounts on my F10 528i too. I can feel vibration during cold start when gears are changed to D or R. More colder outside, more worst is the vibration. But it goes away once engine is warmed up. Is it really motor mounts?
    Thank you.

• It sounds like your motor mount is going bad,,,,as a DIY it’s not a easy job,,,,,you have to lift the motor up to get the mounts out

• Buddha says:

Thank you for the response. I’ll find a good indy for the job.

• Buddha says:

I bought oem motor mounts on ebay via bmw dealership in florida for a real good price($158/pair with ebay 20% coupon). I’m leaning towards using harbor freight engine support bar for lifing engine up from top and change one mount at a time.
        How hard it’s going to be? And I have seen plenty videos using support bar on fenders. Just curious if fenders are strong enough to hold the bar while lifting engine.
        Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

• Yes you can use the harbor freight engine support,,,,you can lift the engine slightly,,,,that support is not made to lift it is a support,,,,so what you do is support it with the harbor freight and then you take a piece of wood 2×4 and a floor jack and you can lift the engine with the floor jack from the plastic oil pan,,,,be careful,,,the harbor freight support sits on the fender bolts area,,,,and use you tow hook screws into the top of the cylinder head next to the oil filter housing,,,,,I hope this helps

2. Buddha says:

Just a quick question, does this mount replacement requires the replacement of any bolts?

• Nope,,,,you can reuse the old bolts

• Buddha says:

Thank you for all these valuable information and I really appreciate it. Just one quick question, is engine tow hook suppose to thread in all the way down? Mine is not threading all the way down. The hook design stops screwing all the way in. About 1/4 (about 3 threads) of the hook screws in and the bulged part @ middle of the hook gets stopped by a riser on the engine block right next to tow hook screw hole. Is that right way bmw does it?
        Any insights is highly appreciated.

• Of course BMW has a special tool for everything,,,,lol,,,but we all use are personal tool hooks for the engine support tool,,,but modify the tow hook and grind down that lip on the tow hook that is hitting the cylinder head so it can screw in further in to the head

3. Strobe says:

On my 2012 528i, the tow hook will not thread into the hole by the oil filter. The tow hook’s thread diameter is too large. The tow hook was machined for clearance as mentioned above. Was the hole for the N20 lifting eye smaller in 2012 than the later model years? And the tow hook does thread into the front bumper.

• I have never tried the front tow hook from a N20 engine,,,the tow hook I use is so old I don’t remember what car or engine it s for.,,,I didn’t know the size of the hole was a different size

• Strobe says:

Are there different tow hooks? I assumed that anything called a tow hook was meant to be used as a front tow hook for the car and it doubled as a lifting eye for the engine. Is there a part number for the lifting eye for the N20 engine? In case it matters, the diameter of the threaded end of my tow hook is 0.767 inches or ~19.5 mm. This is the tow hook from the tool kit mounted in the trunk lid.

• No the only tow hook for your car is the one in the rear trunk area,,,,I didn’t think they changed the size of the threads on the tow hook

4. Strobe says:

BMW tow hook 72-15-7-203-519 fits the N20 engine lifting eye hole. No modifications to the tow hook are required. Its outside diameter measures 0.616 inches or 15.6 mm.
    Both of the engine mounts on my F10 have failed. To change them it doesn’t appear that the engine could be raised enough to get the mounts out of the pocket in the sub-frame. Am I correct in assuming that both support arms need to be removed to get the mounts out?