BMW N20 turbo oil line bulletin

Here is the other bulletin that you guys have been talking about,,,,this is a list of the extended warranty on the N20 turbo oil line ,,,,this is the list of cars that are covered,,,,hopefully your cars are covered.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to BMW N20 turbo oil line bulletin

1. Trevor says:

I recently received a recall noticed for this problem. Coincidently, my car is showing a wastegate fault. Do you think I would be able to get the dealer to fix the wastegate issue under this recall? Can I make the argument that this flaw caused the turbo/wastegate to fail?

2. Trevor Lodge says:

Great info…is it worth repairing the wastgate vs replacing a new turbo? What’s the cost range for repairing the wastgate vs the cost of replacing a new turbo? I’m just thinking if they repair the wastgate then the turbo craps out 10k miles down the road. Is a bad wastgate an indication the turbo is about to die?

• You have a good point,,,,I don’t know the price of the turbo or wastegate,,,,but I can tell you the new turbo comes with a new wastegate and the labor hours to replace a turbo is 5 hours

• Trevor says:

Thanks again for the feedback. I opted for a new turbo. I won’t incur any labor cost since they have to disassemble the turbo to fix the recall, I just have to pay for the cost of the new turbo. Do you know if I can rebuild the old turbo to serve as a backup?

• You probably can have it rebuilt,,,,but I haven’t been able to find the parts to rebuild one yet,,,,I’m sure someone rebuilds them.

3. colin says:

So, it appears that BMW NA is not extending the warranty for any of the N20’s placed into X1 chassis. I am wondering if there is a difference in the install, or just in the total qty sold and then wealth of the owner that made them decide to just allow the extension for the 3 and 5 series’? I was quoted ~$5k to do the turbo and return line, only 10k miles out of warranty. Any thoughts or guidance??

• The dealer can check and see if the problem is the turbo line or if the problem is the turbo,,,,,if the problem is the the turbo then you will replace the turbo oil feed line at the same time

• Jesus says:

Just to add a quick question on the “covered” vehicles on the N20 oil line extended warranty bulletin. I just had oil line diagnosed as bad on my wife’s 2014 X1 and they said it wasn’t covered although they are paying for 50% of the cost. I think it should be covered 100% not matter what chassis they put that part in especially if the part was designed with a flaw. Am I wrong?

• No I don’t think you are wrong,,,,the problem is that BMW thinks you are wrong,,,,lol,,,,BMW decides what is covered and what is covered sometimes it doesn’t make any cents

4. Benjamin says:

Does this intentionally leave out the N26 due to a different design or is it assumed N20/N26 are interchangeable?

5. Warren says:

I can’t thank you enough. I just brought the car into the dealership and I think having this bulletin definitely helped. They are replacing my ’12 328i oil feed line under warranty even though the rest of the car is out of warranty.

6. BMWFAN says:

Hello BMWtechician! I am looking for a car for my mom, I’m thinking about buying a 2014 320i California version for her. Any problems with these car? Reliable? I want it to last at least 130,000 miles trouble free. Any input would be helpful thanks!

• I would stay away from 2014,,,,,maybe go with a 2015 model year and a good extended warranty program so the car will be covered until 100k or what ever year it expires

• BMWFAN says:

I don’t plan on buying the extended warranty. What would you say are some of the issues that make you worry?

• Working at a dealer we mostly see low mileage cars,,,,,usually once they get to 50k mile we don’t see them again,,,,,,so I personal don’t know what happens after that,,,,,I don’t know what problems you might have.

7. BMWFAN says:

Do you see any problems at all before 50k?

8. Luis says:

My 2013 X3 is throwing that white smoke at start up specially when it sits for a long time. According to the Vin # it was produced in 2012 so this bulletin should cover it. If i take it in to the dealership how would they tell if the problem is the turbo or the oil feed line? it looks like this bulletin only covers the oil feed line or does it cover the turbo as well? If they come back saying it’s the turbo, is there a way i can tell them to replace the oil feed line only (for free)? You have mentioned in another post that its about 50% chance is the oil feed line, i just done want them to tell me its the turbo($$$$) when it could very well be the oil feed line(free).

• Luis says:

edit from the last post “i just DONT want them to tell me its just the turbo($$$$) when it could very well be the oil feed line(free).”

• They should just replace the oil feed line to start with because they know it a problem and that it is covered under that bulletin.,,,I would tell them it smokes during cold start up when the car sits over night,,,,you can also video tape it on your I-phone and show the dealership that always helps

9. mhdelarosa says:

I had a ECU tune in 2012 that was apparently noted by BMW. So when I was at the dealer recently, they denied my replacement of the oil feed line due to this modification. Is there any way I can win this argument? Obviously, BMW put out a faulty oil feed line design and I believe this problem (white smoke in exhaust) would’ve popped up even without an ECU tune. I think I’m right, but just want your feedback. I really appreciate the info here. I was able to understand the issue better… Service advisor did a really poor job explaining the issue to me.

• You are correct your ECU tune did not cause the oil feed line to go bad,,,,the oil feed line was a bad design,,,the problem is that the dealer flagged your VIN# saying the car has been modified,,,,once that happens BMW is not responsible any more for that vehicle.,,,have you tried another dealer maybe they will take care of the oil feed line

• mhdelarosa says:

That’s what I’ll try next. Hopefully it works. Any tips to help swing the decision in my favor?

• I have no tips for you,,,,you just have to find someone who knows the ECU tune has nothing to do with the oil feed line

• mhdelarosa says:

Thanks! Also, should I have someone inspect the turbo to determine if there has been any damage from the feed oil leak? I thought I read somewhere that the leak would only cause reduced catalyst life. But in another thread I read that it could cause damage.

• They can check the turbo when they replace the oil feed line because the turbo has to be removed anyway,,,,but you should be fine with the turbo,,,,you would have problems if there was no oil then you have a big problem.

10. Javier says:

Just one question (for the ones who suffered the problem or you Andreas when you observed it): does the white smoke apppears even if car remains completely idle during the first (let’s say) 30 seconds after startup? I am asking because in my case i can observe that if car is started and no movement happens with it, only very few smoke appears. But this does no smell to oil but also does not appear to be clean steam. It s like steam which smells to smoke (something like when a car starts with rich mixture). If just stsrt and i move the car in the first 30 secs then the amount of smoke is bigger..so it s something strange cause does not look oil smoke but neither clean steam… Someone has experienced that? May it be the issue of oil line at the very beginning of the issue??

11. Javier says:

..forgot to mention..just happens when car is cold… But again..what is puzzling me is that is even that is not smelling to oil, it does no look as “pure clean steam”…and alsonis not the black smoke of a rich..that s why i wasifondering if (almost),immediate codensation is normal in this engine(it takes about 5 seconds to appear after a cold start up)
    Thanks again!!

12. Javier Guevara Vico says:

Thanks, Andreas for your answer!! 🙂 . I will keep an eye during the next weeks to see how is it going.. However, there is something that i really do not understand from this issue. This is: as per the info I saw, the issue is that “When the vehicle is parked overnight the engine oil pressure will equalize, this may cause engine oil to leak past the turbocharger “exhaust side” turbine seal due to carbonization of the turbocharger sealing ring. ” .. but I have some questions:
    a) if the oil moves fom engine to the exhaust side due to carbonized sealed ring, why is not happening also when engine is normally running? Should not appear a continuous smoke plume when car is driving? or in other words, why only when engine is stopped?
    b) If they mention “due to sealing ring carbonization”, Should not be the sealing ring that should be replaced and not the oil feed pipeline?
    b) The “check valve” in the new pipe, seems to correct the problem. But as i could see, it prevents the oil to be moved from the engine area to the turbo. But isn’t is this the natural way of the oil whn engin runs? (i.e. from the engine to the turbo). It would be logical for me that this situation of “preventing return to turbo” would happen in the “turbo oil return” -from turbo back to engine- pipe but what it puzzles me is the fact that it’s mentioned in the “turbo feed line” -from engine to turbo-. I have this doubt, unless my misunderstanding is related to the naming convention of the “feed” and “return” line which do the opposite way as i believe.

Well.. i try to make myseff understandable in my questions as much as i can . hope i was able to make it .. 🙂
    thanks again!!
    javier

13. Shona says:

My 3 series 2013 BMW just hit 55K miles and started showing the white smoke at start up. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the turbo line and ran my VIN and said it wasn’t under recall, so it would cost me $2000 to replace. But it there was a recall for this very thing on other 3 series made at the same time, so surely it means that there must be a problem on this too? Who should I call to make this happen?

• I would call BMW ,,,or try a different dealer if you can they might help you out,,,,the labor is 4.5 hr plus parts

• Shona says:

Thanks for your reply, I made an appointment at another garage that works only on BMWs but isn’t a BMW dealership for a second opinion. I am also trying to research everything there is to know about how the feed line to the turbo works, how the oil leak happens and how many other 2013 3 series BMWs are having the same problem (it seems quite a few).

• What happens when the car shuts off and sits over night oil drains from the engine from this oil feed line and sits inside the turbo,,,,so when you start it up in the morning there is to much oil in the turbo and you get that smoke in the morning until it burns off,,,,the new oil line has a check valve built in to it so the oil does not drain back in to the turbo.

14. Dan says:

Hi,
    what else does the oil line problem affect? I want to leave it as is if there is no collateral damage to other parts. I live in Canada, we don’t have the recall here 😦

15. Faisl says:

Hi

I have a 2012 F10 520i which has been showing “drivetrain malfunction” error for some time now. I have brought it to the dealership and they attempted to fix the issue about 3 times so far but I am still getting the same error. It happens when I press on the pedal “normally” however, if I press on pedal too hard, it doesnt show. If I turn emgine off and then on again, it goes away. I have recently noticed the white smoke if I switch on after 12 or so hours of being parked.

Can you please tell me if I can show them this bulletin will they do it for free? I have paid around 8000 Riyals already for the 3 times they tried to fix it (around 2K USD)

My car is out of warranty and has 146,000 KMS on it.

Many thanks!
    Faisal

• The smoke coming out the exhaust because of the turbo oil feed line does not cause the drivetrain malfunction light to come on,,,your drivetrain malfunction light is caused by something else,,,,on the turbo oil feed line I don’t think the dealer will fix it for free.

• Faisl says:

Thanks for the reply!

After taking the car in 3 times already for the “drivetrain malfunction” and paying around $2K to get it fixed – which still to this day, its not!!

SA told me last resort would be to replace the turbo which could cost me around $4K.

Do you think this is reasonable? Any advice from your side?

Thanks again!

• What have they tried to fix the last 3 times

• I still would like to know what the faults are on the car and what they tried to fix the 3 last times,,,,,$4000 to replace the turbo sounds about right,,,,it pays about 5hr labor plus the parts

16. Håkan H says:

.Hi
    I have a F11 520i 2012. I have had the common problem with drive chain and turbo oil line, all of them fixed by my BMW dealer at my insurance companys cost. So far so good 🙂
    Now i have a new fault. After a trip in relatively hot weather it came up “Drivetrain Malfunction message”. I checked with my fault code reader and get this fault “120308 – Charging pressure control, plausibility: Pressure too low”
    Do you no what this can be? And how urgent is it to have it checked out. The car was running as normal the hole time and the message was gone after restart.
    Thanks in advance
    Håkan from Sweden

• Hello Sweden ,,,,I don’t know if your engines are the same like in the States,,,,,but your car should have this turbo pressure valve,,,,it sits on or next to the valve cover on the exhaust side,,,,it has 2 vacuum hoses and a electrical connector on it,,,that part might be going bad,,,,,good luck in the World Cup

• Håkan H says:

Hi, thanks for your answer. I have order a new pressure valve i hope it solves the problem. It was not a very expensiv part.
        I start my vacation just in time for the world cup, first game monday against south korea.