Timing chain BMW bulletin

This Has been a big subject with everyone on my blog,,,,some of you guys have been asking about the bulletin about this repair,,,,so this is the BMW bulletin that us technicians work with,,,,I hope this helps some of you guys.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Timing chain BMW bulletin

1. JBone says:

I had a mph dependent high pitched whine in my 2015 xdrive 28i e84 that they replaced the transfer case to fix. I’d say the noise is still there, but at 10 to 20% of the original volume. Could my noise have really been the timing chain?

2. Dan says:

Is there a good chance the timing chain will have extended warranty like the oil line feed problem? I have a 13′ X3 recently out of warranty and experiencing this problem now.

3. Ned Monaghan says:

Andreas,
    Thanks for keeping us, the concerned, up to date on this timing chain issue. My car, 328i, CPO until Spring 2019 is listed so I’m covered. My further understanding however is that after the CPO warranty period ends , the repair of this failure would not be under warranty.

Is that your understanding?

Ned

4. concerned says:

Can you post the sound file from TIS? Thanks.

5. Jack says:

Andreas,
    From what I googled, this problem exist in N20/N26 with manufacturing date prior to 01/2015. But on the TSB, it says “produced before 03/2013”. I have 528i manufactured 02/2014. Should I be worried? Thanks! – Jack

6. Peter says:

Andreas,
    did you hear of any engine damage because of this issue. or is it possible that it is a acoustic problem,
    Thanks Peter

7. Neil Patel says:

BMW refused to fix mine. Bill is almost $5000
    2012 528i xdrive 71k miles
    there is a class action law suit going on. I suggest all consumers to participate. It costs nothing
    Attorney handling cases in CA & NJ is Joe Santoli (josephsantoli@aol.com, 1-800-279-6996). Class reps are eligible for incentive awards commonly awarded by the Courts of $15-20k.

8. Nick says:

Hi Andreas,
    Thanks for all this information. I am looking at a used 2014 428i (build date 04/2014) that was a manufacturer buyback. Carfax shows timing chain and engine replaced in 09/2015. That’s how I found your site – researching the Carfax info. I’ve read that there was a new part that came out in 01/2015 (#11317584084 to #11318648732), not sure if it was the chain or the plastic guide rail. If this repair was done after 01/2015 – is it likely the new parts were used? This car is still under warranty until 06/2018. Just curious what your thoughts were. Thanks so much.