Timing chain BMW bulletin

This Has been a big subject with everyone on my blog,,,,some of you guys have been asking about the bulletin about this repair,,,,so this is the BMW bulletin that us technicians work with,,,,I hope this helps some of you guys.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

172 Responses to Timing chain BMW bulletin

1. Mike Price says:

I have a 2012 X1, I had heard the timing chain whine get worse over the winter, so I parked the vehicle the end of May, and slowly ordered the parts and the timing chain lock out kit for my mechanic. It was a good thing I did, I was talking to him the other day and he said the the top right timing chain guide had failed and was just kind of floating around. I was lucky I didn’t lose the engine. He said there were bits of plastic in the bottom of the oil pan. It was thanks to this blog that I was able to save my X1, hopefully I won’t have anymore issues with this!

2. Neil Howard says:

I have a 2013 328i with 85k miles, mostly highway if that makes any difference. At 77k miles, I got a low oil pressure warning light, towed 100 miles to the dealership and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Eventually replaced some kind of oil flow/distribution sensor of some kind as a starting point.

Serviced at 80k as usual, with nothing appearing. Also took it in at 84k for a $150 diag fee because I could hear a whine, but since I was reading all of these threads, I wasn’t sure if it was just me worrying. Sure enough, 85k lead to another Low Oil Pressure warning light. Towed to BMW dealership, and 4.5 hours of labor to find out that the Timing Chain guide was broken.

Dealer originally quoted $4700 for repair, which included some BMWNA assistance apparently. I called BMWNA directly to escalate and hit a brick wall for 10+ minutes, no help whatsoever. Apparently, extended warranty is their ‘sorry’ and any other issues after this is just wear and tear. Eventually the dealer lowered to $3700 because of my loyalty in giving them too much money, (Taken the car there since I got it 2 years ago at 45k miles)

The question I have, is what questions to ask? I have researched as much as I can, but want to know what else to ask to be replaced whilst they are in there. Oil Pump? Oil Pump Chain? Anything else?

The notion that these problems are isolated isn’t true – the SA spoke about the frequency of these (mainly X3’s).

I understand the risks of owning a BMW compared to a generic car, but to think that another four-figure repair bill could pop up is nerve wracking to say the least. Unfortunately, I put way too many miles into the car which had lead to me being upside down in it anyway compared to my loan. Stuck.

• No I really can’t think of anything else they should replace,,,,they should replace the timing chain and guide rails and oil pump chain and guide,,,,,it’s up to you if you want the oil pump replace at the same time,,,,they will be inside the oil pan when they do the other work, it would only be a couple more bolts to replace at that point

3. Josh says:

Hello – I stumbled upon this page and am so appreciative. I started getting this whine and saw your post and the SIB you posted. Took the car to BMW as I am almost at 7yrs and at 65k miles, and they said I will get the SIB 11 03 17 as outlined above. Car has been in the shop for a day, and tech said they’ll let me know if they see anything else, while they have the engine open. I understand they will replace the timing chain and guide rails and oil pump chain and guide. But I want to be smart when they call me and try to hit me up with other non-warranty issues. What else could they possibly find that may not be covered due to this issue? I suppose they could suggest I change the oil pump? What would be a reasonable cost while they are in there, and is there any reason to change it? I suppose I want to be smart and not let the dealer fleece me while they are at it. Any advice is appreciated and thank you for your good work.

4. housesaleweb says:

Driving bmw 2013 x3 i28 to work. Stopped at traffic light and car indicated “drivetrain malfunction, with low oil pressure warning. I immediately stopped and had car towed to bmw dealer. The SA drove the car into BMW repair shop and promised calling the next day. Bmw called and told me the engine needs to be replaced. They said the timing chain guide had broken and pieces of plastic found in bottom oil pan. I bought the car at 72,000 miles from another dealer and currently at 100,000 miles. I have always changed the oil as recommended. I am thinking of taking it to a mechanic. The engine still runs and car starts but I don’t want to drive it. Any advise will help. Why does the dealer want to change the engine at $13,000? Am still financing the car and it still looks like new. Besides I can’t afford a new engine.

• I think the dealer want to replace the whole engine because they are worried about anymore possible damage that was done to engine when it loss oil pressure,,,,BMW doesn’t want to take the liability if they only replace the timing chain and something else is wrong,,,,,it’s easier to replace the whole engine,,,ok if the engine still runs I would then have it towed to a good known independent BMW mechanic who has done this repair before and that can lead you in the right direction

5. housesaleweb says:

Thought as much. Thank you for your quick response and feedback.

6. BMWfromCanada says:

I had timing chain issue and dealer replaced the timing chain drive and oil chain drive module where 50% of cost was covered by BMW Canada. Car was out of warranty but had only 55000 KM on it. Now that timing chain drive and oil chain drive has been changed, do I need to worry about it failing again or the new part fixes the issue?

7. Karen says:

Please confirm which models falls in this recall from BMW

8. Karen says:

Please confirm which models fall within this recall from BMW and year model. Just happened to my car.

9. synbitz says:

Hello. I hope you will respond to this. I have a 420i N20 build date summer of 2014. I’m very worried it’s a second hand car I do hear some rattle at cold start but I’ve come to understand it’s “normal” until the oil pressure is there to support the chain tensioner. I have read around the net and my research seems to confirm that the tensioner works under pressure so at cold start you can hear a little rattle. I called my dealer about this too and he said that as long as it at cold start and only lasts a 10 to 20 seconds there’s no real worry, I should be hearing it when its warm. So uhm, just to be sure I’m asking you too… Should I get my chain tensioner / guides replaced ? my car has 50k KM on it. I drive it around in the netherlands area.

Thanks.

• The cold start rattle is normal,,,,it should only last about 10 to 20 seconds like the dealer said,,,,getting the chain tensioner and guides replaced is up to you,,,,if you do replace them I would also replace the timing chain and oil pump chain