N55 intake camshaft bearings

Oh no another intake camshaft bearing damaged,,,,this job all started with a check engine light on a N55 and faults eccentric motor ,,,after replacement we had more problems and new faults,,,we had intake camshaft and turbo boost issue,,,,the car ran just fine no limp mode and plenty of turbo boost. So we tore the valve cover off again and rechecked everything,,,checked the timing was perfect,,,,so we decided to take off the intake camshaft bearings and this is what we found was bearing caps damaged causing the intake camshaft to bind.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to N55 intake camshaft bearings

1. Darkstar says:

That looks bad 😦 Do you know what is responsible for the lack of lubrication?

• No we never did figure it out,,,,the customer had his regular oil changes done.

• concerned says:

So did the burn spot on the second bearing cap(from the bottom of second picture) caused the problem? That seems to be a very small blemish, or is the damage somewhere else in the picture? I guess at high rpm any imperfection can be big problem, right?

• I know that pictures not the best,,,,but all those camshaft bearing were pretty messed up.,,,,I think the cause was all of them binding the camshaft

2. Bart says:

Andreas, how many miles on this engine?

• concerned says:

N55 turbo supposedly is rock solid, unless oil change was not done on schedule? In this regard, my guess is the LL01FE 0w30 can be a good option for cold start protection even for N55.

• Yes,,,,BMW will be switching over to 0-30w and 0-20w on all their cars

• James says:

Hi Andreas! I very much appreciate your blog! Question: If BMW is going to 0W30 oil for the N20 too, would Castrol’s LL-01 0W40 be a good choice too? It’s what I use in my E46 with a M52TU and that car loves it. It’s nearly 20 years old and shows zero oil consumption with 10,000 mile change intervals. I am thinking that the N20 in my F30 may benefit from a 0W40 as it is thinner at startup and a thicker oil when running hot which may alleviate stress on the timing chain and oil chain components.

• Yes they are going to 0-30w on N20,,,,,you can try 0-40w

3. X5MBoom says:

Awesome blog! I was wondering if you have seen similar issue on the s63 engine with 75k miles. My engine is making horrific knocking/grinding sound and has the following codes: 002A7F, 002A82, 002A9D – bank 2 vanos solenoids, 002AC4 – low fuel pressure and 00E207 – which could not be explained. I am suspecting a leaked injector due to hard starting rought idle and fuel smell and maybe bent rod or bearing on the crankshaft but so far the engine has not been opened. Thank you!

• No we haven’t had a problems with camshaft bearings on that engine,,,,it’s hard to say what the knocking and grinding noise is,,,,but I would first look into the low fuel pressure issue,,,possible bad injectors,,,,if you can remove the spark plugs and see if they are fuel soaked that will be your problem,,,,the vanos solenoid faults could be a vanos solenoid or the vanos unit itself which could be your knocking or grinding noise,,,,the vanos unit do make a noise when going bad.

• X5MBoom says:

Thank you for the advise! I am trying to get the dealer to look into the spark plugs and injectors. Do you know of cases in which Index 11 injectors have started leaking, I know the current revisions is 12, and there is a new Injector that is recommended for the S63 with different material content to resist the heat? I fear that the leaked injector has caused hydrolock and then the rod bearings or the a rod itself has given way. Also leaking fuel into the oil is probably not very good for lubrication.

• Yes I have seen index 11 and index 12 fuel injector go bad,,,,I just did some last week.

4. SHARIF MENSAH says:

So may I ask what the remedy is for this, I have this problem on my car as well and it’s been sitting for months because I was told the cylinder head needs to be replaced. Don’t have 6300 bucks for a new one not 4k for the labor to get it done and my warranty didn’t cover it

• Sorry the only remedy is to replace the cylinder head,,,,there was no warranty on this car also,,,,the customer had to pay for the repairs,,,I don’t know why this problem happens ,,,lack of oil,,cheap oil filters or over due oil service?

• SHARIF says:

Would it not be an option to put another camshaft in it? I literally drove thus car for like less than 8 months, and I’m wanting to kust trade it in i have had the car for only a year now and this was discovered in may.

• You can put another camshaft in,,,but you still have bad camshaft bearing that will damage the new camshaft again.,,,,if you are going to do it you should replace the head and camshaft at the same time.

5. SHARIF says:

I’m worried about getting another cam shaft with that much wear because I feel like there may be damage to the entire engine.

• I wouldn’t worry about it,,,,when we removed the cylinder head on are engine the piston rings still looked good.,,,the tolerance on the camshaft and the cylinder head are so tight that could be the problem.