X6M bad news

Ok this is bad news,,,X6 M engine came in not running good,,,,vanos issue on bank 1,,,,engine wasn’t taken care,,,the engine had a lot of oil leaks and coolant leaks,,,,valve stem seals leaking really bad,,,,also when you started the engine you would hear a load rattle noise coming from the engine like a chain rattle noise,,,,the noise would come and go,,,,well bad news is the right side timing chain rail broke and caused the timing chain to jump timing causing the valves to hit the Pistons and bend and break causing major damage.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to X6M bad news

1. JC says:

WOW WOW WOW…

Warranty? Will you guys hook up the car to pull logs looking for a tune or over-rev?

At least the owner will get a new engine with leaky valve stems and all (sarcasm).

2. James says:

That is some serious damage! Was deferred maintenance the real issue? Coolant and oil leaks are one thing, but this looks like a Volvo head when an overdue timing belt breaks. I can only imagine that this car went a very long time between oil changes and was driven very hard.

• Yes the customer didn’t take care of anything,,,oil service was 15k over due

• JC says:

This is tough call. I imagine that the typical X6 owner doesn’t know how to reset the oil service indicator.

On another note BMW has released a recall notice on a handful of new M5’s due to a manufacturing defect. Engine replacement on the way.

3. fredayday says:

I don’t know if I’d blame the owner for all of it! Those engines are bad from the FACTORY! If he followed the maintenance schedule he is NOT to blame, only BMW. I took my car in to BMW (N63 bought at 90k) and told them that the noise I heard upon startup was definitely the timing chains and their only summation was that these engines are notiourously noisy. I change my oil every 2k and have changed it at the 500 mile mark lately and the issue is still there. The previous owner had all maintenance records and my issue is IDENTICAL to this motor with the Vanos code on Bank 1. I drove delicately and the issue is still present so now I’m just waiting for my motor to grenade itself and continue laying this loan on this heap of shit that I own. I feel for this owner and many other enthusiasts that bought an N63 equipped vehicle only to have a POS.

4. DYLAN HOSE says:

Codes in History: All Codes Are Intermittent and May Not Come Back On
    1C3101 ENGINE OIL PRESSURE, TEMP SENSOR, PLAUSABILITY
    11AO31 FUEL PRESSURE LOW, ELECTIRCK FUEL PUMP, PRESURE LOW
    420641 PARKING LOCK DEFECTIVELY ENGAGED, DRIVERS COMMAND
    8041A8 WELCOME LIGHTS REPART INTERLOCK ACTIVE
    CDO487 ZGM: SYNC PROCESS FOR FLEX RAY FAILED
    B7F8C6 CID REDUCTION IN BRIGHTNESS DUE TO EXCESS TEMP.
    30196 WINDOW REGULATOR PASS REAR DOOR DEACTIVATION OF DRIVER DUE TO OVER TEMP

Hey I just recently purchased a 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe 4D and took it to the shop for them to look it over. They gave me these codes. Are any of these codes bad and what would it cost me to fix if so? Thank you for any help you can give me!

• Yea the two I was worried about is oil pressure and oil temp,,,,and the fuel pressure issue,,,,,I would look at those two problems,,,the other faults are not a big issue,,,with the oil pressure and oil temp I would start by replacing the oil pressure/temp switch,,,,and the fuel pressure would like you need to replace the I tank fuel pump and the EKPS module which is the fuel pump relay,,,the module will need to be programmed.,,,I don’t know the prices the labor on the oil pressure switch/ oil temp switch is 2hr labor,,,,the fuel pump and EKPS module labor is 4hr.

• DYLAN HOSE says:

Thanks for the reply. Are those things long term problems or something that can be easily fixed? Are these problems costly to repair / Are these things that are covered by the manufacturers warranty? Also I have the option to return this vehicle up until Friday. Are any of those things bad enough that you would recommend returning the car instead of purchasing it?