N20 -N26 timing chain 7/70 list

Here is the list of cars that have the 7/70 timing chain extension

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

177 Responses to N20 -N26 timing chain 7/70 list

1. Yoan says:

Hello and thank you for your various articles on the n20 engine. I live in France with an x1 e84 xdrive 20i (end of 2012) which does not seem to be on your list. It currently has 165,000 km without any chain problems.

I am quite surprised to see that in Europe there is no one who has reported this problem, whereas with you in the United States it seems very frequent.

Would there be a difference between our 2 continents with regard to production? Or maybe the fuel that would be implicated!

Is the fact that my vehicle is not on your list reassuring?

Thank you for your answers.

• You are correct almost all the problem are in the States,,,all the engines are built in the same plant,,,there is a good chance that the fuel is the cause of these problems,,,,yes it is a good thing your car is not on the list

• Yoan says:

Here the vehicle was driven only at SP98. Are there many vehicles that run on ethanol in the United States? The problem could be caused by the fuel destroying the plastic guide. I ask because here ethanol is not too widespread and should not represent more than 1% of vehicles on the gasoline market.

• This could be a fuel issue,,,but BMW is not saying anything about the problem.

• Yoan says:

It is really a shame that BMW does not communicate on the subject, especially since here in Europe the problem is not repeated while in the United States it seems widespread. There has to be a reason. It’s a bit like on the list, the block of 20i and 28i is quite close, so why one seems more impacted than the other (the higher torque?).

• BMW like to keep some things to them self’s,,,,they don’t want to release any information if they don’t have to.

• Drew says:

How can fuel be the cause? The timing chain & guides are bathed in engine oil, not fuel. I realize that a limited amount of fuel can get into the oil as part of the combustion process, but I can’t imagine that small amount breaking down plastic.

• We are just have an idea that it is fuel related due to other countries don’t have the same problem as we do,,,and we have different fuel requirement then other countries,,,,so what might be happen is the the fuel burn is not as great as other countries and causing more stress on the timing chain causing it to break down.

2. Yoan says:

3. Greg Schwartz says:

I just purchased a 2016 228i xDrive Cabriolet (manufactured in Germany) with 46k kilometers for my wife. It has the N26 engine, factory warranty has expired. Two questions: Should I be concerned about the timing chain/guides issue in her vehicle? Should I proactively replace the timing chain tensioner, part number 11318685091 (replaces part number 11317567680)? It appears to be a relatively simple, .5 hr swap.

Thanks,

Anxious Canadian first time BMW owner!

• You could replace the tensioner if you like,,,you should be ok since your car was probably built in 2015.,,,,you could ask your local dealership on what they think about your car and the timing chain issue.

• Greg says:

The production date of the car was 2015-11-17. We purchased it from a BMW dealership, they didn’t mention any potential issues with the timing chain components. I don’t expect we will put more than 5-6k kilometers per year on it. Hopefully it will prove to be a non issue.

• No car manufacturer is going to tell you the problems with their car,,,they are just worried about the sale of that car,,,,not what is wrong with that car

4. Gandolf says:

I got this issue and luckily BMW covered it 100%. Four months later I got a drive train malfunction that turned on then went away after a day. Is this related to the new engine I got? What are related problems? What should I do next?

5. Sam Tyler says:

I bought 2012 X1 with 85,000km and after reading different posts makes me worried about the timing chain issue, I called the dealer they said there is no recall on this vehicle except driver side air bag! But the list post on this forum shows E84 X1 xDrive28i with N20 is a recall!

Please advice me how can I go about with the local dealer? Now also I’m sitting 3 months over then 7/70 mark!

I live in Alberta, Canada

• It all depends are your production date of your car,,,you can also tell the dealer about this bulletin

• Kyle says:

I personally know of one person that had a total loss on their X1 engine in Saskatchewan back in 2016 before BMW Canada acknowledged a widespread issue with the timing chain on the N20. My 2013 X3 28i timing chain was replaced by BMW (no cost to me) in January 2019 at 107,000 km. I reside in Alberta as well. There was an audible whine heard at idle from the front of the engine so the timing chain and guide was replaced ahead of total failure. Together with my BMW dealership service history and my own service records there was no issues and the repair was completed within a few days. Loaner vehicle was included.

This is not a recall. Rather it is no cost extended warranty in Canada. 112,000 km / 7 years. So I was just under by kilometers and by time (Delivery was Aug 2012). I fear that your 2012 X1 is now past the 7 year warranty limit. It is still worth inquiring about at your local dealership.

6. John says:

My daughters car had the timing chain issue N20. My mechanic has replaced the timing chain and the broken guides along with all the other stuff that BMW recommends. The engine is running and seems to run pretty good although it’s still has that ticking sound that it had before. Maybe not as loud as before but still noisy.
    He believes that it’s not enough oil pressure in the tensioner therefore is not tight as it should be. Is there a way to test this? Or do you think it’s just possible plastic bits of junk in the sump pump pick up?

7. Doug says:

If I reach my finger in through oil filler cap with the engine off and cold, is it normal for there to be some slack in the timing chain on an N20? I assume the tensioner is operated by oil pressure and it’s normal to feel some slack when the engine is not running? Thanks.

8. Vic says:

Earlier this week I took my 2012 328i to dealership because check engine light came on. My service guy called and told me to sell the car immediately because oil wasn’t circulating through the engine and eventually it would seize. He said the technician found this out by putting a scope in the engine but didn’t explain it any further, nor did he address what the diagnostic code was for the sensor being on. Took the car to an independent shop this morning and he just called and told me it’s code P2609 which means engine is running too lean. He said he didn’t see anything wrong with the oil circulating in the car. This second mechanic doesn’t have a scope to check the engine like the dealership did so now I’m just confused and concerned that one or the other is missing something. Can the timing chain issue be identified through scoping?

• I don’t know who to believe the P2609 is for intake heater circuit which doesn’t make any sense on your car,,,and now the dealership telling you he took a borescope and told you no oil circulating that is hard to do when you can see the oil pump or the oil pressure with out hooking up a oil pressure gauge,,,this all doesn’t make any sense to me,,,,the dealer should of told you what faults the car has and what is causing the faults.

9. kashaun16 says:

2013 BMW X1 E84 WITH N2O MOTOR 11400ML
    I have done my timing chain after finish car starts up runs but would not idle until cel come on. check got vanos dtc come to relies i switch the cam gears when i install them so i correct it after veh cranks but no start check timming over like 3 time it good. no dtc but it complete its combustion cycle i check for spark, fuel and compression was reading ok on all 4 cylinder but there black smoke and strong gas smell out the exhaust.I allso found wire harness for dinantronics box which is pigger back to DME was rubbing under the eng. cover and expose some wires and by moving around stuff they was rubbing together and i had the battery connect at that time too….need some help please thank in advance

• Ok,,,,you said you smell gas and black smoke out of the exhaust, and you have wiring harness damage to Dinan piggy back,,,I would think this is your problem the harness is damaged and can be causing your problem with the fuel injectors dumping to much fuel into the engine,,,you can remove the spark plugs and see if they are fuel soaked to verify this problem,,,,I don’t know if you can remove the Dinan piggy back and put it back to stock.,,,I hope this helps

10. kashaun16 says:

I remove the spark plugs all 4 complete soaked and i also remove the Dinan piggy back complete and connect harness direct to DME … I also replace the DME with use one [CLONE] still no start but i notice when i crack one of the injector line the fuel pressure is very low which normal be busting out the lines, fuel pump shaft is not broken and no DTC. The fuel pump tank pressure is good when i check but when i read the data for fuel rail its very low and drop right back to 0..
    It goes from 0 – 8 kpa and back to 0 will cranking do you have any idea what that reading should be on the fuel rail.

• Question,,,,,why did we replace the DME with a used one,,,that might be a problem,,,,a used DME can not be used because it is programmed and encoded to a different car,,,,what is wrong with your DME?

11. kashaun16 says:

one of the plug had corroded pins due to leaking pigtail from that Dinan harness and i got the DME clone