N20 -N26 timing chain 7/70 list

Here is the list of cars that have the 7/70 timing chain extension

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

210 Responses to N20 -N26 timing chain 7/70 list

1. Yoan says:

Hello and thank you for your various articles on the n20 engine. I live in France with an x1 e84 xdrive 20i (end of 2012) which does not seem to be on your list. It currently has 165,000 km without any chain problems.

I am quite surprised to see that in Europe there is no one who has reported this problem, whereas with you in the United States it seems very frequent.

Would there be a difference between our 2 continents with regard to production? Or maybe the fuel that would be implicated!

Is the fact that my vehicle is not on your list reassuring?

Thank you for your answers.

• You are correct almost all the problem are in the States,,,all the engines are built in the same plant,,,there is a good chance that the fuel is the cause of these problems,,,,yes it is a good thing your car is not on the list

• Yoan says:

Here the vehicle was driven only at SP98. Are there many vehicles that run on ethanol in the United States? The problem could be caused by the fuel destroying the plastic guide. I ask because here ethanol is not too widespread and should not represent more than 1% of vehicles on the gasoline market.

• This could be a fuel issue,,,but BMW is not saying anything about the problem.

• Yoan says:

It is really a shame that BMW does not communicate on the subject, especially since here in Europe the problem is not repeated while in the United States it seems widespread. There has to be a reason. It’s a bit like on the list, the block of 20i and 28i is quite close, so why one seems more impacted than the other (the higher torque?).

• BMW like to keep some things to them self’s,,,,they don’t want to release any information if they don’t have to.

• Drew says:

How can fuel be the cause? The timing chain & guides are bathed in engine oil, not fuel. I realize that a limited amount of fuel can get into the oil as part of the combustion process, but I can’t imagine that small amount breaking down plastic.

• We are just have an idea that it is fuel related due to other countries don’t have the same problem as we do,,,and we have different fuel requirement then other countries,,,,so what might be happen is the the fuel burn is not as great as other countries and causing more stress on the timing chain causing it to break down.

2. Yoan says:

3. Greg Schwartz says:

I just purchased a 2016 228i xDrive Cabriolet (manufactured in Germany) with 46k kilometers for my wife. It has the N26 engine, factory warranty has expired. Two questions: Should I be concerned about the timing chain/guides issue in her vehicle? Should I proactively replace the timing chain tensioner, part number 11318685091 (replaces part number 11317567680)? It appears to be a relatively simple, .5 hr swap.

Thanks,

Anxious Canadian first time BMW owner!

• You could replace the tensioner if you like,,,you should be ok since your car was probably built in 2015.,,,,you could ask your local dealership on what they think about your car and the timing chain issue.

• Greg says:

The production date of the car was 2015-11-17. We purchased it from a BMW dealership, they didn’t mention any potential issues with the timing chain components. I don’t expect we will put more than 5-6k kilometers per year on it. Hopefully it will prove to be a non issue.

• No car manufacturer is going to tell you the problems with their car,,,they are just worried about the sale of that car,,,,not what is wrong with that car

4. Gandolf says:

I got this issue and luckily BMW covered it 100%. Four months later I got a drive train malfunction that turned on then went away after a day. Is this related to the new engine I got? What are related problems? What should I do next?

5. Sam Tyler says:

I bought 2012 X1 with 85,000km and after reading different posts makes me worried about the timing chain issue, I called the dealer they said there is no recall on this vehicle except driver side air bag! But the list post on this forum shows E84 X1 xDrive28i with N20 is a recall!

Please advice me how can I go about with the local dealer? Now also I’m sitting 3 months over then 7/70 mark!

I live in Alberta, Canada

• It all depends are your production date of your car,,,you can also tell the dealer about this bulletin

• Kyle says:

I personally know of one person that had a total loss on their X1 engine in Saskatchewan back in 2016 before BMW Canada acknowledged a widespread issue with the timing chain on the N20. My 2013 X3 28i timing chain was replaced by BMW (no cost to me) in January 2019 at 107,000 km. I reside in Alberta as well. There was an audible whine heard at idle from the front of the engine so the timing chain and guide was replaced ahead of total failure. Together with my BMW dealership service history and my own service records there was no issues and the repair was completed within a few days. Loaner vehicle was included.

This is not a recall. Rather it is no cost extended warranty in Canada. 112,000 km / 7 years. So I was just under by kilometers and by time (Delivery was Aug 2012). I fear that your 2012 X1 is now past the 7 year warranty limit. It is still worth inquiring about at your local dealership.

6. John says:

My daughters car had the timing chain issue N20. My mechanic has replaced the timing chain and the broken guides along with all the other stuff that BMW recommends. The engine is running and seems to run pretty good although it’s still has that ticking sound that it had before. Maybe not as loud as before but still noisy.
    He believes that it’s not enough oil pressure in the tensioner therefore is not tight as it should be. Is there a way to test this? Or do you think it’s just possible plastic bits of junk in the sump pump pick up?

7. Doug says:

If I reach my finger in through oil filler cap with the engine off and cold, is it normal for there to be some slack in the timing chain on an N20? I assume the tensioner is operated by oil pressure and it’s normal to feel some slack when the engine is not running? Thanks.

8. Vic says:

Earlier this week I took my 2012 328i to dealership because check engine light came on. My service guy called and told me to sell the car immediately because oil wasn’t circulating through the engine and eventually it would seize. He said the technician found this out by putting a scope in the engine but didn’t explain it any further, nor did he address what the diagnostic code was for the sensor being on. Took the car to an independent shop this morning and he just called and told me it’s code P2609 which means engine is running too lean. He said he didn’t see anything wrong with the oil circulating in the car. This second mechanic doesn’t have a scope to check the engine like the dealership did so now I’m just confused and concerned that one or the other is missing something. Can the timing chain issue be identified through scoping?

• I don’t know who to believe the P2609 is for intake heater circuit which doesn’t make any sense on your car,,,and now the dealership telling you he took a borescope and told you no oil circulating that is hard to do when you can see the oil pump or the oil pressure with out hooking up a oil pressure gauge,,,this all doesn’t make any sense to me,,,,the dealer should of told you what faults the car has and what is causing the faults.

9. kashaun16 says:

2013 BMW X1 E84 WITH N2O MOTOR 11400ML
    I have done my timing chain after finish car starts up runs but would not idle until cel come on. check got vanos dtc come to relies i switch the cam gears when i install them so i correct it after veh cranks but no start check timming over like 3 time it good. no dtc but it complete its combustion cycle i check for spark, fuel and compression was reading ok on all 4 cylinder but there black smoke and strong gas smell out the exhaust.I allso found wire harness for dinantronics box which is pigger back to DME was rubbing under the eng. cover and expose some wires and by moving around stuff they was rubbing together and i had the battery connect at that time too….need some help please thank in advance

• Ok,,,,you said you smell gas and black smoke out of the exhaust, and you have wiring harness damage to Dinan piggy back,,,I would think this is your problem the harness is damaged and can be causing your problem with the fuel injectors dumping to much fuel into the engine,,,you can remove the spark plugs and see if they are fuel soaked to verify this problem,,,,I don’t know if you can remove the Dinan piggy back and put it back to stock.,,,I hope this helps

10. kashaun16 says:

I remove the spark plugs all 4 complete soaked and i also remove the Dinan piggy back complete and connect harness direct to DME … I also replace the DME with use one [CLONE] still no start but i notice when i crack one of the injector line the fuel pressure is very low which normal be busting out the lines, fuel pump shaft is not broken and no DTC. The fuel pump tank pressure is good when i check but when i read the data for fuel rail its very low and drop right back to 0..
    It goes from 0 – 8 kpa and back to 0 will cranking do you have any idea what that reading should be on the fuel rail.

• Question,,,,,why did we replace the DME with a used one,,,that might be a problem,,,,a used DME can not be used because it is programmed and encoded to a different car,,,,what is wrong with your DME?

11. kashaun16 says:

one of the plug had corroded pins due to leaking pigtail from that Dinan harness and i got the DME clone

12. kashaun16 says:

Cloning means making full copy of ISN files from original DME and copy it over to use DME

• So what happens if the ISN files are corrupted and you just copied it over to the other DME…are the pins damaged on the original DME ,,,or are the connection on the harness damage,,,,we just had a car last mouth where the harness was damaged for the fuel injector signals causing fuel to dump,,,the harness was damaged on the connector for the DME,,,you might have to perform OHM test on the harness to make sure the harness and connections are good

13. Romnick says:

I had 2014 328i and having no issue yet so far,but im concern about the timing chain since my car is on the list of having problems with the timing chain,i checked the vin number to see if there is a recall for that and did not see anything,what should i do to double check ?should i go to dealership and just tell them about this bulleti?

14. FakhrAl-Din Morrar says:

Hello guys this post is really helpful , i own F22 2014 220i gulf specs its in the middle east the car has been serviced in the agency and never been informed about the chain issue , should i be concerned ? I cannot seize why the 320i has the issue however 220i should be similar engine N20 and not listed is it because of different KWH or what ? Do u recommend changing the tensioner as preventive maintenance?

• BMW won’t tell us why some models have problems and some don’t,,,,it could be because of horsepower,,,,,you could replace tensioner if you want,,,,,it wouldn’t hurt anything

15. FakhrAlDin Morrar says:

Thanks for the reply i think its 220i and 320i uses the exact engine N20 my F22 2014 car now has 105000kms since its not in the list , in general what do u advice me to do shall i just keep my ears alerted to sounds or u advise me to take to service center and maintain the chain so i can save the engine ? Thanks again

16. René says:

Maybe a stupid question but I noticed the f31 328i xdrive is mentioned on the form but not the rw ? I assume that the f31 328i RW could also be affected ?

Regards form sweden

• Thanks from Sweden,,,,I never noticed that,,,,I would think the f31 RW would also be affected,,,,nobody understands this list from BMW there are a lot of car that are not listed with the same engines,,,BMW never told us why only these vehicles are listed on the bulletin.

17. damquan99 says:

Hi,
    I’m not really sure it’s my 2012 BMW 320i (F30) probably produced from 05/2012 affected by this or not as its did not show in the list.
    Thanks you!

• If it is not on the list then it is not covered under that bulletin,,,but BMW does have some other programs,,,you need to go to the dealer and have your key remote reader performed and it will say if you are covered for any timing chain defects

18. Deb says:

I bought a used 2012 528i with 109k miles about 4 months ago. The car has lost complete power and now I the drive train malfunction light on, engine light on, low oil pressure light on. I took it to the bmw for a diagnostic and they said that I’m just better off replacing the engine than trying to find out what is wrong with the car. Idk what to do at this point i’m devastated. I don’t want to sell the car because nobody is going to give me what I bought it for. Do you think it has to do something with the timing belt.

• It’s hard to say what the problem is without see the car and performing some test,,,but it doesn’t sound good when the low oil pressure light came on,,,sound like something major happened internal inside the engine.

19. Kyle says:

Hello,
    I have a N20 Engine/ 328i April 2013 / F30, the dash states drivetrain malfunction and the check engine light went on. I ended up scanning and getting below codes. Any comments/tips on both, car only has 49k miles.
    131501: Vanos: inlet, cold start not controllable
    120408: Boost pressure control, cut off pressure rise blocked

20. Mayank says:

Hi, I have a 2014 BMW 428i X drive coupe. I still have under 70k miles and not reached 7 years. How do I approach the dealer saying I hear a noise and whatnot for them to fix it while it is still under warranty? I want to make sure this issue is fixed. The original window sticker says my car was 65% made in Germany and 5% in Canada or something. What about the rest? I have a SULEV vehicle so it’s definitely an N20 engine. Please help! Thank you!! Cheers

• Mayank says:

Also, I had the whole transmission replaced at 42K miles when I bought it. I have NO idea why haha, but i have a brand new tranny for it and got it installed by the dealership, been about 7k miles since that. If that helps you with anything! Cheers

• Ok,,,if you have a sulve then you have a N26 which is ok,,,you need to tell the dealership that you hear a abnormal whine from the engine area and hopefully they do something about this timing chain issue.

21. andreinistor says:

Hello! So for the E89 Z4 only the 28i N20 powered model is affected and not the 20i sDrive? Don’t they use the same spec N20 engine just with a slight bump in power for the 28i version?

Thanks in advance for your support!

• Yes you are correct,,,why it is not on the list we don’t know,,,this list is something that BMW came up with and they didn’t tell us how they came about which car model and years

22. Mates Bogdan says:

Hi i have an f34 320i gt xdrive with 97000km 04.07.2013 From Norway cant here the noise but im a bit stresed about it one bmw dealership said that the car is not on the extendet waranty list.Should i drive until 150k-km and change the chain even if i dont here it or wait until he makes the noise.If is x-drive does it get used faster then Rw.And why so many 328I afected and not so many 320i?
    THNX

23. bogdan675 says:

Hi greatings from Norway i have also a Bmw 320i GT-xdrive with 97k-km i dont hear any winning on the chain.I dont find in your list f34 320i Gt from 07.2013 that means that is not afected or just is not on the list i called allso BMW-and they said that my car is not on the extendet waranty list.Im verry stresed with this timming chain issue every time when i go on the car i listen to the engine is like ridding a time bomb.I am paning to change the timming chain at 150k-km even if is not making the noise.And whi there so many 328i afected and 320i not does it matter if mine is a xdrive?does the chain is more under load fi the care is x-drive?

• Hi,,,yes your car is not on the list but that doesn’t mean that it still has this problem,,,and since your car is 4 wheel drive the chain is not being used more it is the same on both 4 wheel drive and rear wheel drive,,,,now if you want to keep the vehicle it is a good idea to replace the timing chain and rails and oil pump chain for safety reasons.