Coronavirus has shutdown work

It has just come to my noticed that are dealership has shut down due to the Coronavirus,,are dealership was hoping to stay open with a skeleton crew of technicians to help out are customer,,,,but with the pressure of the government and for the well being of his employees,,,,we have shut the doors,,,I will still try and answer some questions for you,,,I just don’t have access to BMW information or wiring diagrams at this time,,,I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

252 Responses to Coronavirus has shutdown work

1. Karim R says:

Hello BMW Technician, first i would like to thank you in making this blog, it has been helpful and always a good read regarding repairs, issues and fixes on BMW’s, very much appreciated.

I’m having issue with an F10 N20, with fault code 118002 (Air fuel mixture rich condition), rough idle on warm starts, slight hesitation at low rpm when accelerating, and sometimes rough shifting at low rpm. Other than that the car drives nicely at wide open throttle and no hesitation in mid to high rpm acceleration.

In diagnosing this issue the following have been replaced:
    – New BOSCH MAF sensor. Old sensor had reading values was 22kg/h-24kg/h at 860rpm, which is considered out of range.
    – PCV Valve
    – Bosch Spark Plugs & Delphi coils
    – Vacuum Pump (changed it after reading your post, and yes oil was dripping from the vacuum hoses).

Car currently has 53,000 miles and have been well maintained. Hoping you can provide further steps in rectifying this issue.

Many thanks,
    KR

• No problem,,,what you can do when you have that rough idle on warm start up you can remove the spark plugs and see if they are fuel soaked,,,if they are which ones are fuel soaked and that fuel injector could be your issue.

• Amanda says:

Hi, Question is this normal reading for Battery voltage 13.29 V for 2014 428i xdrive n26.

• Do you know what the amp out was,,,,You have a smart alternator in your car,,,the voltage and amperage will change according to how much voltage and amperage the vehicle needs,,,so when the lights are on and the a/c is on it will need more voltage and amperage,,,also if your battery is old it needs more amperage the volts so your voltage might be low like it is right now,,,,the best thing to do is have the battery and alternator both tested

2. Karim R says:

I took a picture of the plugs, but i don’t think i can post here. I previously had issues with plugs on cylinder #2, that was fouled. Changed it out about a week ago when i changed the PCV (The one on the valve cover.

All plugs seem ok now, nothing stands out in terms of how it looks.
    The center electrode are white with a very light hint of brown. They didn’t look wet at all. Cleaned them up with brush and reinstalled. Coil number 3 & 4 smelled like gasoline. Coil 1 & 2 just a slight smell of gasoline.

Maybe a slightly clogged injector?

3. nazaryakymivskyy says:

I cleared check engine code its gone but when i check the O2 with ista bank 1 o2 heats up right away and goes in green zone but the bank 2 never heats up so it stays red. They changed the o2 and also wiring harness under warranty and still nothing helped it heat up and go into green zone. If you have a way i can post the picture to show you what i mean please let me know.

4. Alan L says:

Hi. I’ve got an issue I’m struggling with any would certainly appreciate any suggestions. I have a 2012 X5 E70 N55 that’s having a fuel dilution problem. The engine was replaced 30K miles ago by BMW due to a knock (rod bearing?). Oil testing I did at that time wasn’t showing any fuel dilution problems.

Last winter I found high fuel content in the oil. At the time I thought this might be due to a lot of short trips. But recently I’ve only used the vehicle mainly for long trips and am consistently finding about 2% fuel dilution in 2000 miles, typically over about 3 months.

I read this may be related to leaking fuel injectors, but that this was more of an N54 issue than an N55. I pulled the plugs and none were showing any sign of fuel. Is there any better way to test for leaks, or should I just go ahead a replace the injectors to rule this out?

What other ways the fuel can be getting into the oil? I understand the Bosch HPFP that mounts on the block can leak fuel, but this engine has the HPFP that mounts on the back of the vacuum pump. I understand it’s possibly due to a bad ring sealing, but is this likely? Any other thoughts? Thank you!

• Ok this is going to be a process of elimination,,,you can start with the injectors and retest,,,,then the next thing would be the HPFP to be replaced,,,,question for you has any of these been replaced yet.,,,they might have replace the injectors when they replaced the engine,,,,if that the case maybe start with the HPFP first,,,,is is going to be a process,,,,we are dealing with a N20 right now at work which is doing the same thing and we don’t know what causing it.

• Alan Ludwiszewski says:

Thanks for the advice. I’m ready to replace the injectors, but am having trouble figuring out which injectors to use. I’ve pulled the part number off the current injectors, but there’s a service bulletin that says to use a different part.

The work description on the invoice from the engine replacement says that the injectors/HPFP/fuel rail with lines were all transferred to the new engine. I can see what looks like a 0411 date code on the injectors, and the car’s an 05/11 build, so it seems reasonable that the current injectors are the original.

Service bulletin SI B13 03 15 says that there are ETK Part Number errors with the injectors, so the proper injectors need to be determined by other methods. The March 2017 version of the bulletin says to read the number off the injectors, or if injectors have been changed and the wrong ones used, open up a PuMA case to get the proper part number. Then an April 2017 version of the bulletin says to use ISTA to determine if the injectors are EU5 or EU6 versions, and if they’re EU5, choose the injector part number based on the HPFP model (Continental or Bosch). I can’t run the ISTA test, but the current injectors are a EU5 part number. However the current injector part number is the one for use with the Bosch fuel pump, but the engine has a Continental HPFP.

So do I stick with the current injector part number, or move to the one the bulletin recommends for use with the Continental pump? Normally I’d just stick with what’s in there, but could the fuel dilution issue be relate to the wrong injectors being used?
        Any thoughts on which way to go or how to get an answer from BMW on the right part to use? Thanks!

• Ok,,,what I would due is stay with the EU 5 injectors because like you said stay with what you remove from the car.

5. Karim R says:

Hi Andreas,

Coming back here to ask for your advice as my N20 F10 went into limp mode (drivetrain malfunction), scanned it with a generic scanner and 3 fault codes came up:

118002 : Mixture control fuel-air mixture too rich (still troubleshooting this code as per my last message to you..)
    Causing Drivetrain Malfunction:
    130308 : Vanos Exhaust Control Fault, position not reached
    120408 : Charging Pressure control switch off as consequence

Should i go ahead and replace the Vanos Solenoid or is it the Vanos Solenoid Valve that needs replacing. Is this anything related to timing chain failure? I believe changing the Vanos solenoid will require special tool and a trained mechanic correct?

Many thanks again…

KR

• Ok,,,,you have 2 issues the running rich issue,,,,and the timing issue,,,,the charge pressure issue could be due to the Vanos fault,,,the vanos faults could be vanos solenoid or the valve hard to say without performing other test,,,it also could be a timing chain issue where it has stretched and it can’t reach limit,,,,so I would have the timing chain issue check and they can also run test on the vanos units.

• Karim R says:

Noted. We were able to clear the codes, but definitely will get everything checked out.

Thanks,
        KR

• Karim R says:

The car has been in the shop for 2 days and sure enough the timing chain rails have snapped in a few places. Funny how there was no whining noise or excessive rattling from the chain? The only symptoms was intermittent hesitation upon acceleration and the vanos exhaust fault.

The chains have definitely stretched though not so much.

• Yea the timing chain issue is a funny thing,,,sometime you get the whine noise,,,or vanos or oil pressure issues you never know what you get.

6. Randall curry says:

Hey bud I currently have a 2016 550i bmw I threw a jb4 on it it came up with these codes 1b5302 terminal15N_2 electrical short to ground p2092 A camshaft position actuator control circuit low bank 2 and p2094 B camshaft position actuator control circuit low bank 2 I took off the jb4 it threw a drive train malfunction car sounds fine though statists right up nothing seems to be wrong car sounds good runs good it’s just the 1b5032 code keeps popping up putting the car in limp mode should I replace the camshaft sensors cause they seem to be the culprit here what you think

• You could give it a try and replace the camshaft sensor,,,but I think something else is going on because it a low circuit fault,,,which is telling me a voltage issue or damaged wiring or bad connection.

• Randall Curry says:

You don’t think what can be causing this before I take it to the dealership I m thinking it could also just be a fuse sense I didn’t bother to unplug the battery before I installed the jb4 seems I was to excited

• You could check the fuses,,,but I don’t think there is a fuse for the camshaft sensors,,,the sensor sends a signal to the DME

7. Randall Curry says:

Which fuses should I check those ones in the glove box I’m puzzled a fuse woul put the car in limp mode?

8. Mime Jones says:

Hi, I e got a f30 n26 that is setting a mixture too rich and large deviation. 150k and just replaced timing chains. I’ve been doing a lot of those lately and stumped by a rich faults Bmw typically go lean faults ha. No air leaks no other faults replaced both solenoids valves during chains and no exhaust leaks. Sets on cold starts and runs rough when occurring. Oxygen sensors crank case vent valve or injectors at the top of my hit list. One odd thing I noticed is a lot of oil in the vacuum lines runs out of the reservoir in the decorative cover. Could a fuel tank vent valve or a MAF also be a culprit? Just thought maybe there would be other collateral faults stored too. Any advice would be great! Thanks

• The rich mixture could be a couple of things,,,the high pressure fuel pump could be going bad,,,fuel injectors,,MAF sensor but they don’t go bad that often,,,you need to check and see if spark plugs are fuel soaked could help out and see if you have a bad injector spraying to much fuel,,,,,on the oil coming out of the vacuum reservoir your problem is the vacuum pump at the rear of the valve cover is going bad pumping oil into the vacuum reservoir.

9. Mike Wallce says:

Thank you for you contributions and help. What are your thoughts on the B46/B48 engines? Are they likely to have the valve cover and OFHG leaks like the old bmw engines? Im looking at getting an X3 2018 with 100k miles. What about the timing chain issue- is that still present like from the N20?

10. Alex says:

Hello,
    If possible, could you please provide the torque specifications for the tie rod replacement on an F30 328i? 1) Tie rod torque 2) Clamping bolt torque 3) Combination bolt torque
    Alex

• macho7337 says:

Hello 2013 x5 E70 35i 3.0 liter twin turbo I recently did an oil change with bmw 5/30 full synthetic oil that is recommended. I normally use MANN HU 816x oil filters. This time I chose to use a K&N PS7014. I received a check engine light the next morning with a code of 2D54 vairiable camshaft timing control(vanos) exhaust cold start not controllable. I brought it to my bmw certified mechanic in Mn Eurotech. They are amazing in every way. I was told that the filter was the cause of this. (Replaced K&N with factory oem filter) I have not had an issue since codes were cleared. Side not I had no issues prior to this oil change either. Do you have any experience with this type of situation? I have read on this forum and others that these banks solenoids do go bad. My mechanic said he has never replaced one on this engine. Any advice and expertise would be great. Thank you in advance.

• I don’t know off hand what the torque spec are.

• We just make sure it is good and tight,,,if it is the tie rod end at the steering knuckle we use a impact gun to tighten that nut #7

• Alex says:

Thank you for your reply. I had a few more questions.

1) While loosening and tightening the inner tie rod to the steering assembly, I read that the steering should not be at full lock. At what position should the steering be kept?
        2) While tightening the inner tie rod, is that also done using an impact gun, or is it set to a particular torque spec, if so is it set using a crows feet wrench?
        3) Can I get away with putting some masking tape and measuring the length of the old tie rod and estimate the length of the new one so that I don’t need a toe alignment?
        4) I know you don’t have the torque specs off hand, but I found this on FCP Euro:
        BMW tie rod = 110Nm or 81.1 lb-ft of torque
        BMW tie rod end pinch bolt = 40Nm or 29.5 lb-ft of torque
        BMW tie rod end ball joint nut = 80Nm or 59 lb-ft of torque
        Do these seem about right (they are for an E90, not an F30), I just don’t want anything to come apart?

Thank you in advance!
        Alex

• 1) the steering gear should be at straight away position while tightening and loosening the inner tie rod
        2) you use a crow foot or a wrench will also work,,,just get it good and tight
        3) yes you can use masking tape,,,or count the thread on the tie rod that are showing to get it close,,,but you still have to alignment
        4) yes those torque spec sound about right,,,,,you might have to calibrate the steering angle after all these repairs

11. member says:

How do I do zgm coding according to vin code?

12. concerned says:

Hi Andreas, I read on another forum that the F-series doors can be opened with double pull from inside even when the car alarm is on. I checked my doors, and for some reason the passenger door does not do that(the door latch just bounces back down after the first pull). I thought either all 4 doors are “deadlocked” with alarm, or all are double-pulled with alarm, so is my passenger door lock/pin malfunctioning? That lock was replaced by dealer when it unlocked slowly, does it mean a 2nd lock is now needed?

• No your passengers door lock is not malfunctioning,,,I believe that’s the way it operates,,,only the drivers door will unlock in double pull.

• concerned says:

Thanks for confirmation! Interestingly, with alarm on, rear doors can also double pull to open(same as driver door). So it looks like BMWAG decides only front passenger should not get out. 🙂

Or maybe this is a security feature to prevent someone to break passenger window and double pull to quickly open passenger door and ransack the glovebox.

13. Eugene says:

Hello, Andreas! I have a 2018 BMW 328d. In the past, had issues with EGR and rough idle, but a tune solved that issue. Even having had a tune for 12K miles, I continue to baby the car and hardly drive it hard. To prolong life of engine, I installed Mishimoto catch can. That has been on for maybe 9K miles. No problems. Changed oil 3K miles ago, zero oil consumption.

Yesterday, noticed the car was smoking unusually. We just had our first snow. Plugged OBD and noticed EGT 600-700C, above normal even for regen. Verified regen was NOT happening. Drove up to the house. Oil level at minimum. No oil messages or check engine light/malfunction messages. Did get code stored however for lambda and air mass quantity implausible to fuel injection. Also got a code for EGT temp calculated vs measured different. Parked the car for now. So we know the car ate 1 liter of oil, the question is why? The car has 53K miles, just 3K miles out of warranty. Took charge pipe off that come from turbo to intercooler, got about 30 mL of oil. So turbo seals leaking! At 50K miles? I will check for shaft play, but last time I checked there was none whatsoever. If for some reason my catch can is creating some PCV restriction – could it potentially cause backpressure in oil return line to cause an otherwise good turbo to leak? Since these turbos have metal pistons, they are prone to leaks I think with restricted PCV. Have you seen anything like this happening on low mileage cars and what was the most common culprit? Thank you so much in advance!

Eugene

• I’m sorry I’m not familiar with the mishimoto catch can,,,,so what I would do top off the oil and remove the catch can and drive the car again and see what happens

• Eugene says:

Thank you, Andreas! That is what I did last night. It was definitively confirmed that the catch can is the one that stopped up and had very limited flow when I tried to blow into it. The sad part is that I cleaned it regularly, but I guess it is a poor design overall. Now I realize that rise in crankcase pressure is what caused the oil to back up into the turbocharger and made it leak through seals. I removed the catch can and reinstalled original PCV hose into the intake. I cleaned the charge pipes downstream of turbocharger. I actually had to refill 1.5 liters of oil – I am still not sure why the car did not notify me of low oil, I guess it was still barely within limits.

Checked EGTs during drive today, they are back to normal. Car no longer smokes, but I can still faintly smell the oil – probably still burning off the 1.5 liters it leaked. It may have leaked all that into intake and exhaust, I was able to clean some out from intercooler also. Time will tell whether I damaged anything else, I imagine this catch-can clog likely happened over the last couple of weeks as weather got colder and clog has increased in severity that finally resulted in turbo seal leak. Andreas, my understanding is that these Honeywell/Garrett units basically have metal pistons and no true “seals” per-se. They sling the oil away from the turbo piston seals and also create positive pressures on both intake and exhaust sides that will reduce leakage. Which basically means that once PCV system is restored, the oil outflow will normalize, and the turbo should reseal itself? Am I correct in that thinking? There is no play in the turbo shaft and no scoring on the sides – looks like brand new. Andreas, what other things could I have damaged or weakened by the PCV blockage? I am sure the rocker cover seals may have weakened if I ran too high crankcase pressure for too long – no leaks yet that I can see though. But what else should I look for in the future due to causing this condition? Thank you so much for being available here for us DIY enthusiasts!

• I think you will be ok,,,the turbos a pretty tuff,,,and yes just drive it and burn off the oil inside the exhaust system

14. kr4va says:

my 320 has a mishimoto and i get several drops of oil every 2k miles under normal driving. worth the expense IDK cant hurt